Home FAQ Memberlist

View next topic
View previous topic
 Unreal Ops Forum Index » Unreal Ops News Comments
Peoii
Ultimate Fanboy

Location: Post Falls, ID, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 4:40 pm

Atleast that's what this article over at FiringSquad claims, and to be honest? After reading it, I fully agree. To give you a taste of what is ahead of you're brave enough to read the article, here's a quote:
That sniper rifles are the bane of first-person shooters is an indisputable fact, yet people choose to dispute it anyway. Why? Because everyone has the little fantasy of being the lone wolf, the deadly, stalking sniper who hits without being seen, goes 10-0 every round and by the time the map is over he’ll be hailed as living god by the peons he’s slain or saved from certain death.If nothing else, it's a great read from another gamers standpoint, and should definately be checked out by one and all. Don't feel that it's right? Well, give us your comments in the forums, discuss this! Do you think the sniper rifle is killing games? And if not, why not? If so, why? Give us your thoughts! But don't forget to read the article first!
Ghash hardass zhd
Novice Spammer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 4:58 pm

i actually kind of agree but i like the sniper.... like in wolfenstein if the majority is snipers it becomes stupid!!! but in ut2003 2004 hell not !!! give all your pellets boys, and travel the hard round to sucksess!!!

Angst jammer og fortvilelse

Angst jammer og fortvilelse
alpha2003
The Underworld God of Spamming

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 5:53 pm

i like the sniper rifle in close range lol
Lalli-Oni
UO Staff

Location: A small island in the middle of the Atlantic ocean...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 7:38 pm

I always used the UT sniper close range and never scoped... CoD I love having a submachine gun and a sniper to have when I'm close to someone and vice/versa though I don't camp around and camping just isn't as good as many think... you just have to move. I think the sniper really is good for most games because endless close combat and simpleness will make it boring or just CS-like

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 8:26 pm

actually camping works well in xmp lol...at least 4 me it does
Drokz
UO Noob

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 11:06 pm

i think he should define sniping (better)

cuz when is sniping sniping?
shooting someone on long distance = sniping?
using scoped weapon = sniping?
camping = sniping?

is there a difference in taking someone out with a springfield (scoped) or a garand for instance?
i can use both for sniping :/

and i also think sniping has to be in
it only doesnt really work well on publics, but for wars it gives a nice tactical/strategical depth to the match/game
alpha2003

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 11:25 pm

im pretty sure he means sniping with the sniper rifle Smile
Raven
UO Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 11:44 pm

tbh that doesnt answer the question either Wink

Peoii
Ultimate Fanboy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 12:03 am

Websters defines sniping as:

Quote:

to shoot at exposed individuals (as of an enemy's forces) from a usually concealed point of vantage

So I would assume that to be the case in most instances of "sniping".

SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0
0 Rows Returned.
Plumb_Drumb
Ultimate Fanboy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 12:12 am

sniper rifles ruining games!?
I totally disagree.

howabout my fist ruining his face?
I bet he'd disagree with that Wink
Peoii
Ultimate Fanboy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 12:16 am

Plumb_Drumb wrote:
sniper rifles ruining games!?
I totally disagree.

howabout my fist ruining his face?
I bet he'd disagree with that Wink

Question is, why do you disagree.

You gotta admit, those were some pretty valid points in there. Sniping does make most other classes USELESS.

SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0
0 Rows Returned.
alpha2003

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 12:50 am

depends on how good u snipe Wink

im pretty sure everybody got the point.....
SuperDre
UO Noob

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 7:38 am

I so agree, for me it ruined the game 'Tactical Ops' cause the 9 out 10 times the people with the highest scores where people who camp the whole round with a sniper.

Limiting the sniper to only 1 person, and a different person every round would make it better..

But the sniper people just bitch about things like: then walk a different route.
Another thing is that they then bitch at me if I kill them with the M204 grenade launcher, or am using the m60..

I know for one thing, if it's up to me, there won't be a sniper rifle in the 'RoadKill' mod.. or at least it will be very limited..
Lalli-Oni
UO Staff

Location: A small island in the middle of the Atlantic ocean...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 12:36 pm

SuperDre wrote:
I so agree, for me it ruined the game 'Tactical Ops' cause the 9 out 10 times the people with the highest scores where people who camp the whole round with a sniper.

Limiting the sniper to only 1 person, and a different person every round would make it better..

But the sniper people just bitch about things like: then walk a different route.
Another thing is that they then bitch at me if I kill them with the M204 grenade launcher, or am using the m60..

I know for one thing, if it's up to me, there won't be a sniper rifle in the 'RoadKill' mod.. or at least it will be very limited..

I loved having sniper and a sub-machine gun at the same time and I moved alot adn if I got lucky being high and behind someone then of course I use the sniper... how would games be with just close range weapons guys spraying many clips at each other but nothing hits?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:35 am

Sniperrifles suck ?
no ... the game-designer that added them there does.

They only suck as much as any other weapon which isn't given any thought as to how its abuse can ruin the game as it is meant to be played.

What kind of moron would place a sniperrifle in a map that is not designed with it's (ab)use in mind ?

You know which other weapon sucks just as hard ?
Rocketlaunchers and similar explosives, because after the sniperfights by morons that ignore the objectives comes the mindless shelling of potential 'campingspots'.
No need to aim or predict ... just spam the next room with explosives and watch the killcount rise.

And as soon as we've gotten rid of the pitfalls of the explosive weapons ... I'm sure we can find something else to label as 'TEH SUXX0RZ'.

Fact of life is that people will use the best weapon in terms of frags/ease of use as objectives and playing the game rarely is important enough.(period)

You know when you get a good game ?
If people are prepared to fullfill the objectives of the game ...
And if people are prepared to find their own favourite weapon instead of picking the one everyone else thinks is 'easy'.

You can complain until you're blue in the face that there's the snipers & artillery first, then came the spamming by machineguns to halt the advancing enemy and the 'real cqb fights' next ...
Or haven't you seen what happened in WW 1 ?
Or what about Napoleonic warfare ?

... thinking that virtual warfare won't progress in the same way is to delude yourself.
Every game is going to feature multiple types of engagements, some of which you will like and some you won't.
You could try to eliminate the 'boring' ones ... but you'll only succeed in making the game one-dimensional.
The endresult will be the virtual equivalent of WW 1 :
- zero skill
- zero tactics
- just run at each other and kill or die trying

Can we do something to stop it ?
YES, but it requires both designers and players to adapt :
-A- for designers this means smart placement/assignment of weapons (only give them the weapons that fit the map)
-B- for players ... it means being prepared not to be the star of the show not just once ... but everytime you play the game on-line.
The only problem is that 'A' is difficult and 'B' won't happen unless worldpeace is achieved and hell freezes over.

View next topic
View previous topic