Unreal Ops Forum Index

Home FAQ Memberlist

View next topic
View previous topic
 Unreal Ops Forum Index » Unreal Ops News Comments
Tycho
Wanna-Be Webmaster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:33 am

A big thanks to Zenmaster for sending this news in yesterday. Sorry it didn't get posted sooner. We are working out the bug in the new submit news to all of the staff feature. Epic's Tim Sweeney has announced that there will be no backward compatibility between '04 and '03. Here is the quote.Networking won't work between UT2003 and UT2004. We had initially plannedto support that, but the network code has changed so much in order to reduce bandwidth, support vehicles, and increase performance, that we couldn't keep the two games network-compatible.

-TimNow it isn't as bad news as it seems. Most people are going to want to play on the newer gameplayer servers anyways. However it was cool of Tim to touch base with everyone.
Cheetah
Ultimate Fanboy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:43 am

yeah, i dont care.
like i was planning on playing on UT2003 servers?? Confused

i would just instal UT2003 again if i want that.. Rolling Eyes

<Rachel> Razz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:51 am

...and so dies the last of the original plan of ut2004 just being a free update for ut2003 owners.

I hope everyone is ready to pay full price for ut2005 next year, too!
Tycho
Wanna-Be Webmaster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 12:07 pm

A free update? Why in the world would you think it was going to be a free update? I don't always agree with everything Epic has done but they never said it was going to be free.

In the Immortal words of Socrates who said, "I drank what?"
Cheetah
Ultimate Fanboy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 12:50 pm

1) New More UT2003 Compatibility is wrong, musnt it say NO more....
2) UT2005? it took em 1.5 years to make UT2004, what was just a update.
you think they can make a whole new game in less then a year.
UT2006 or UT2007 IF there is gonna be another one.
and i wouldent give it the UT#### name again if i was them.
make up something new.

<Rachel> Razz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 5:10 pm

Remember back when they said UT2003 would be the start of yearly updates, 2004 being a compilation of mods and patches over the course of the first year and sold in stores but available as a download to UT2003 owners. Then of course, UT2005 was going to be a complete new release for sale in stores. They said this originally to defuse people's complaints about having to pay for a new release each year.

Don't get me wrong, I do believe a lot of work went into UT2004, but I don't appreciate being promised something then having that promise broken. Neither do a large majority of current UT2003 players. With this in mind, I fear UT2004 will have too few people playing by the time it gets released to sustain a community of any relevant size. Each new announcement like this about UT2004 shrinks the base of people I get to play against.

Gone are the glory days of UT. I can't even find a decent, non-instagib server anymore.
Lalli-Oni
UO Staff

Location: A small island in the middle of the Atlantic ocean...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 8:53 pm

Anonymous wrote:
Remember back when they said UT2003 would be the start of yearly updates, 2004 being a compilation of mods and patches over the course of the first year and sold in stores but available as a download to UT2003 owners. Then of course, UT2005 was going to be a complete new release for sale in stores. They said this originally to defuse people's complaints about having to pay for a new release each year.

Don't get me wrong, I do believe a lot of work went into UT2004, but I don't appreciate being promised something then having that promise broken. Neither do a large majority of current UT2003 players. With this in mind, I fear UT2004 will have too few people playing by the time it gets released to sustain a community of any relevant size. Each new announcement like this about UT2004 shrinks the base of people I get to play against.

Gone are the glory days of UT. I can't even find a decent, non-instagib server anymore.

so true... IG is so much crap Sad check out www.unrealtournament2005.com or was it 2k5 well anyways try it out... there was up to 2011 once but they took them off and it was up to 2006 last time I checked

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 10:41 pm

Plans change, good ideas turn out to be inpractical, deadlines turn out to be too tough to keep.... and people will always act like the company has raped their grandmother.

The truth is that it doesn't really matter much.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:35 pm

well said Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 2:51 am

I agree. It doesn't matter. Because UT2004 is going to sell poorly.

Oh well...
Lalli-Oni
UO Staff

Location: A small island in the middle of the Atlantic ocean...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 4:18 am

Guest... look in that crystal ball of yours and tell me what's the breast size of the girl sitting next to me in school

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:00 am

C75
what? what does that has to do with this thread??
how old is she?
why, i dont think it will sell poorly?? il buy it.
does she have a boyfriend?
unrealtournament2005.com directs me to unrealtournament.com
whats her name?

<Rachel> Razz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 2:34 pm

This isn't a question of any of US buying it. We wouldn't be here if we weren't already going to. The question is - will anyone else? With the ability to play on UT2003 servers gone, will there be enough people buying UT2004 to sustain a community of decent servers?

I play with myself enough already. I don't need Epic's help

BTW, Lalli-Oni... do you act like this whenever you hear something you don't like, or are you offended by my guest status and decided to give me the special treatment? In either case, can we get back to a mature conversation here? I'm only saying what many of you are thinking and I'm doing it in a polite manner. I would hope staff could do the same.

(crystal ball says B-cup, anyway)
Cheetah
Ultimate Fanboy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 4:15 pm

dude, you got a cheap ball. you need a better, acurater one..
i got the one from LotR:RotK. that the EVIL WIZZARD has, forgot his name, sauromun?

<Rachel> Razz
Raven
UO Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 4:40 pm

Lalli-Oni wrote:
Guest... look in that crystal ball of yours and tell me what's the breast size of the girl sitting next to me in school

/me gazes into my crystal ball.....

i do declair! a 36C! Wink

View next topic
View previous topic