View next topic
View previous topic
 Unreal Ops Forum Index » Unreal Ops News Comments
Peoii
Ultimate Fanboy

Location: Post Falls, ID, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 7:34 pm

This just in from Ryan C Gordon who is working on the Linux Demo:
UT2004 Linux Demo client is not ready yet. There's a showstopper in it, but I've been awake for days, and can't gather the concentration to fix it.

This will be available soon, but probably not tonight. Sorry to disappoint.

The good news is that getting these embarrassing moments out of the way during the demo means the final retail version will be ready to go on time.
So hang in there you Linux Gamers, it's on it's way soon enough!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 7:52 pm

A hard to find bug in Linux, ahhh... typical Linux Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 8:08 pm

I'm very disappointed and sad Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 8:45 pm

even MAC demo is out now Razz
Gandalf

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 9:14 pm

I think that if you purchase UT2004 for the PC, then you should be able to get the linux version for free, or prehaps for £5 more. I run Windows & Linux (I choose which one I want at boot-up), and I almost always use Windows because of my games, but if more of my games worked in Linux then I would use it more often Cool
Sado

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:11 pm

I have linux only machine like lots of ppl , the linux version will be standard in a box. But we're waitin' for the demo to see what it is woth like any other gamer.
Peoii
Ultimate Fanboy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:17 pm

Gandalf wrote:
I think that if you purchase UT2004 for the PC, then you should be able to get the linux version for free, or prehaps for £5 more. I run Windows & Linux (I choose which one I want at boot-up), and I almost always use Windows because of my games, but if more of my games worked in Linux then I would use it more often Cool

Um, if they release it anything like UT2003, you'll get it for free.

The Linux Installer was on the last disc for UT2k3, so I'm assuming something very similar will happen for UT2k4.

SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0
0 Rows Returned.
Peoii
Ultimate Fanboy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:19 pm

Sado wrote:
I have linux only machine like lots of ppl , the linux version will be standard in a box. But we're waitin' for the demo to see what it is woth like any other gamer.

Yeah, I'm gonna love installing it and trying it out on my Linux box, but seeing as I couldn't wait, I installed the dedicated server on that machine, and am running the client on my windoze box. Definately gonna look forward to the linux client though.

SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0
0 Rows Returned.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 9:21 am

So we're waiting...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 11:43 am

May be we (Linux people) can try winex to try out the win demo, if u really can't wait Smile

I know UT2003 worked with winex

www.transgaming.com
get it via CVS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 11:54 am

No! the demo looks and runs awfull on wine and winex no gameplay only torments when running it. Cheers to Icculus which is doing great job out there.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 1:25 pm

Anonymous wrote:
A hard to find bug in Linux, ahhh... typical Linux Rolling Eyes

Hard to find intelligence in this post, ahhh... typical idiots Rolling Eyes
Sado

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 1:31 pm

Yeah you're right! if someone says that hard find to bug in linux is total n00b. Linux has advanced debugging systems. It's really easy is you're developer or have source code for use.
Spoon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 2:04 pm

mmm.. sorry guys I gotta go with the orginal Guest on this. Linux is full of programming calls, programs, and libraries that are either poorly documented or incorrectly documented. I myself have spent hours trying to figure out how certain things behave because there is no documentation on the feature. Most of the time you will get a "go look at the source" attitude from a LOT of open-source developers. Open-source doesn't mean that you should skip out on documentation. That's what seems to happen though.
I'm talking from experience in general programming for Linux. I've used it for years, have had a job using it, and know my way around it just fine.
Just my two cents.
Homercidal
Crazed Fan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 3:03 pm

Spoon wrote:
... I myself have spent hours trying to figure out how certain things behave because there is no documentation on the feature.

If there is lack of documentation for the Linux UT2004 client, then the developer has only himself to blame. They are not programming so much "Open Source" as their own program. I'm sure they are getting lots of support from Nvidia/ATI.

Simple fact is that the Windows version was probably the focus and therefore gots lots more attention. Even Windows games have been delayed due to bugs. Some are even released with bugs bad enough to keep people from playing. Sometimes it happens.

The Linux Client will probably be out in a couple of days. Give the man time to get some sleep and figure out the problem. In the meantime, you can check in to the forums and read all about the demo from people running Windows.

Cheers!

View next topic
View previous topic