Unreal Ops Forum Index

Home FAQ Memberlist

View next topic
View previous topic
 Unreal Ops Forum Index » Unreal Ops News Comments
Tycho
Wanna-Be Webmaster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:23 am

Well I may as well get onto the news that most of you have been waiting for since last week. As most of you know I recently had the chance to talk to James Schmalz of which doing research on part one of the History of Unreal Tech article. At the end of the interview he dropped a golden tidbit of news on me. Here is a direct quote."Stay tuned for the first info about our new monster game coming out. It's going to make a huge splash when it's announced. If you liked anything I've worked on in the past, you are going to love this."Now I already know what most of you are thinking, 'What kind of inside scoop/info do you have?'. First of all let me say this. I learned a long time ago not to jeopradize my close relationship with DE but pouring out stuff I am not supposed to. I can, however, tell you guys this. At the completion of Unreal Championship back in November of 2002 they had two project on the horizon. One was the recently completed, Desert Thunder. The other was a project some of you may have heard of before called Dark Sector.

For those of you new to the Unreal Universe Dark Sectore is a concept Sci-Fi game that DE was working on before Epic talked them into working on Unreal Championship/UT2003. Coincidentally the official Dark Sector site was taken offline recently. If you have want to take a look at some of the original concept artwork then check out this cool DS fansite.

Now when Mr. Schmalz first told me this two weeks ago I wanted to know more info because I know everyone would ask me. Here is what he had to say at the end."Sorry for the lack of details. We will have plenty of info about it eading up to E3."Now I had heard rumors of them doing something but noone knows exactly yet. I can say this, one thing I know about Devs is to expect the unexpected. So either we will see some new DS info or they have something else that is going to blow our doors off. Looks like we will have to wait just a couple of more months to know for sure.
MachDelta
Novice Spammer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:56 am

I sure as hell hope it is Dark Sector. I dug through a whole bunch of shots and stuff of the game a long time ago, and it looks friggin AWESOME. If DE announced they're actually working on it again, I would cream my pants. DE's DS looks like teh PWNAGE Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 2:59 am

I hope so too. I've been waiting since 2000. I've been so involved with keeping an eye out for this one because it just sounds wicked as hell. If it's like what some of the earlier tidbits of news (from a few years ago) suggest, this could very well be the game that sets a new standard in FPS.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 5:50 am

Yea , I hope we get to see this game soon !

-dp-
saturnfive
Spamming Fanboy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:05 am

Desert thunder was done by a small start-up, sister company of DE called Brainbox games Smile
Tycho
Wanna-Be Webmaster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 10:32 am

BB is actually part of Digital Extreme - Toronto. The company has two official offices now.

In the Immortal words of Socrates who said, "I drank what?"
Cheetah
Ultimate Fanboy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:19 am

wow.. whats that game about? it sure looks cool Twisted Evil

<Rachel> Razz
MachDelta
Novice Spammer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:33 pm

Its an MMOFPS.
Not like Planetside though. From what I understand, its more of a traditional MMO (personal spaceships, spacestations, etc), except the combat is like Deathmatch. It'll be interesting to see how the two genres blend. Smile

Oh, and heres a linky:
http://www.3dactionplanet.com/darksector/

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 6:48 pm

Maybe the Time for Dark Sector has passed by.
A Massive Deathmatch might not get the enthusiasm it once did.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 10:17 pm

BUT!!! it's a massive deathmatch with MECHS!!!!! Wink

saturnfive
Spamming Fanboy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:35 am

Tycho wrote:
BB is actually part of Digital Extreme - Toronto. The company has two official offices now.

Kind of- we share an office in Toronto, but BB are a seperate start up company.
Tycho
Wanna-Be Webmaster

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:18 am

LOL. I know that goofball. Smile I was just trying to keep things simple for the new readers. Do me a favor and slug Virdog in the arm for me for not letting us play on the DE UT2004 server.

Razz

saturnfive
Spamming Fanboy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:17 pm

Goofball Shocked Sorry about the server: It was actually someone else's home PC and that guy said no, so it wasn't Virdog's fault. I slugged him anyway though, cos he had it comin' Smile
MachDelta
Novice Spammer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 2:52 pm

Hangonasec.

I thought DE's office was some place outside the Tdot?? And that it was like a fancy little ranch in the back country or something?

Or does DE have a seperate, corporate office? o_O

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 5:22 pm

There are 2 offices, the bigger older one in London and the smaller, hipper one in Toronto. I didn't know Saturn worked for BB until yesterday LOL!

View next topic
View previous topic