Unreal Ops Forum Index

Home FAQ Memberlist

View next topic
View previous topic
 Unreal Ops Forum Index » Unreal Tournament Series
gregcarnachan
UO Noob

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:30 am

Ok ive tried and tried to get my gamepad to work but i cant get it to work!Can anyone help me?The problem im having is trying to get the mouse controls(looking etc) converted onto the second joystick on my gamepad.Ihave an Nyko gamepad which is similar to a PS2 pad and i also tried to use JoytoKey(the keyboard emulator) and i still cant get it.Any advice out there?>Thanks for anyone that helps.
Tycho
Wanna-Be Webmaster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 4:08 am

What kind is it? What OS are you running?

In the Immortal words of Socrates who said, "I drank what?"
Cheetah
Ultimate Fanboy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:13 am

why would you wanna play on a joypad.. keyboard/mouse combo rulez on this game.. aim muhc better.

<Rachel> Razz
gregcarnachan
UO Noob

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:57 pm

its a NYKO airflow gamepad and im using windows xp pro
Homercidal
Crazed Fan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 3:28 pm

Wow, I don't have any advice on getting the joypad to work, but my opinion is that you just can't beat a mouse for FPS games.

Now, there are some better controllers for the keyboard, but they are not much better considering the price. I'd like a couple of more buttons on my mouse too though.

The biggest thing I think is to make sure windows has the right joypad set up in the control panel. From there, UT should be able to emulate the buttons when they are pressed.

I guess I did have some advice, FWIW.

-Homer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 3:40 pm

Oh, forgot to mention...

I believe you will be pwned by almost every single payer out there unless they are limbless.

Don't want to sound harsh, but I tried playing with joystick/gamepad years ago and there just isn't enough feel. You can't turn fast enough to compete. With mouse, you can do 180 loterally instananeously. Just takes practice.

I strongly suggest using a mouse/keyboard and a few hours of target practice. I'm sure some people here would be eager to share their favorite key bindings with you. I'd do it if you want, but I think I may not have the best key config, personally. I think you will be amazed at what you can do with a little practice.

-Homer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 7:53 am

Homercidal:
i got like 8 mouse buttons.. well not exactly, more like 5. well just take it from me i got more then 2 or 3. Smile
but alot of games dont realy work with it... maybe its my software, and mouse drivers. but if you set up like mouse button 5 on a importend button, like get in a car, and it fails you, youre basicly screwed.. Razz
so importend buttons like that you better set up on ya keyboard.

<Rachel> Razz
Homercidal
Crazed Fan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:52 am

I've had fair to poor experience setting up some mouse buttons too. I'm using a basic wheel mouse and used to use the wheel button to sec fire, but the dang thing kept changing weapons too. The wheel was just too sensitive.

I've since got a cheap cordless optical with extra buttons, but they don't feel right. The whole mouse is not suited for gaming, which is why I use the old ball mouse for gaming.

I've seen a couple of newer Logitech mice that feel good and hopefully will play games well. I would expect a mouse to be able to use more than the two buttons for some action or other.

My main point is that a mouse /keyboard combo still rules the roost, but that there may be other devices that work better than a standard keyboard. I'm basically using the whole left side of the keyboard and still could use one or two more buttons for this or that. THey keep adding features to the games and I'm running out of buttons!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:54 am

haha, amen to that!

yes, mostly keyboard/mouse is ok, but some games realy need better button layout or another kind of controller.

<Rachel> Razz
gregcarnachan
UO Noob

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 3:25 am

Thanks for the advice guys,i was just wondering how i would set it up as i got the gamepad for not just UT2004(i have a few games that i use the pad for).But thanks for the advice anyway,i probably will just keep using mouse\keyboard.Was just a thought,thank you for being nice to this scottish noob!!!!
Cheetah
Ultimate Fanboy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:29 am

scottisch!!1!
/me deletes all my posts fro this thread

lol, just kidding m8 Razz

<Rachel> Razz
Homercidal
Crazed Fan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:53 am

No problem! Just trying to help out.

BTW - I agree that a gamepad is great for some games and in that case you usually just need to make sure that you've cosen the correct gamepad type in the windows control panel (also make sure the driver is loaded for the game port.)

I've got a LAN game coming up this weekend and I was just wondering if I should try a different layout for my keys. I continually get kicked in the ass by a certain friend of mine and I am willing to try anything to be able to compete. I think that more practice might help. My style of play could be the culprit too. Maybe I just need to try an aimbot!!
Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:59 am

lol, screw aimbots, i hate people who use em...
i am willing to be a practise dummy, il cya on a srever some day and you cna try running me over or something Razz

<Rachel> Razz

View next topic
View previous topic