Unreal Ops Forum Index

Home FAQ Memberlist

View next topic
View previous topic
 Unreal Ops Forum Index » Unreal Ops News Comments
Raven
UO Staff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 10:11 am

Firing Squad has released a list of the Top Ten Games of all time. They broke it down into 2 categories, 5 SP games, and 5 MP games. Unfortunately none of the Unreal, or Unreal Tournament series games are on the list, but it will suprise you on what they DID come up with for the Number 1 SP game. Go check it out!
Gandalf

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 11:07 am

That Allegiance game looks pretty cool, and it's free, over at http://www.freeallegiance.org/... It's a microsoft game and they released the source code for it!!! That's amazing, coming from M$.

I'm gonna give the game a try & maybe report back...
Raven
UO Staff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 5:02 pm

do that!

give us a heads up!

Plumb_Drumb
Ultimate Fanboy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 5:14 pm

Hmm, that's an odd list of games Smile
Raven
UO Staff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 5:17 pm

that's what i thought.

they coulda picked better games IMO

there was maby 3 FPS's in there... all others were RTS's

Gandalf

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 6:53 pm

Having played it, I found it quite fun despite the fact I'm not 100% sure what I'm doing, lol...

It was a game that Microsoft released in 2000, a multiplayer only game, but the world wasn't quite ready for that back then, and Microsoft made people pay a monthly subscription charge to play it online, so the game flopped. However, the people who did get it saw the potential it had, and now 4 years on, it is available free, (and 3 weeks ago Microsoft released the source code for it!) a few downloads are needed but they're all at the link I posted above, and are less than 100MB total, and because the game was made so long ago, it works fine on 56k connections I'm told.

It's a spaceships-flying-around type game, but with RTS elements too, each team has a "commander" in charge of spending resources, whilst CPU controlled miners go out and mine asteroids. Resources can be spent upgrading existing space ports, and researching new ships/weapons/shields etc. So defending the automated miners is pretty important...

however the most fun times I've had playing this so far is when our team builds a bomber to take out the main enemy base (and hence win the game, I think), I fly around it in a support ship trying to keep its armour at full and taking out (or at least trying!) enemy ships trying to attack the bomber. It's insane - most of the enemy fleet comes to attack you, there were like 30 ships on my sensors...! (Did I mention that games tend to be between 30-50 people total???)

Anyway, in conclusion, why don't you try it out too, it's a free game, works fine on anything that's a P2 or better and works fine on 56k apparently... what have you got to lose except time you could be playing UT2004 demo? Oh heck, now I've said that, no-one's gonna try it out...!
Plumb_Drumb
Ultimate Fanboy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 3:38 pm

Hey, thanks for the info Smile
I wish it wasn't MP only...
Gandalf

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 1:10 pm

Why?? AI always has its limitations, and there's always 25+ people on the newbie server, and it works fine on a 56k connection...
SirYawnalot
Rabid Poster

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 3:39 pm

Because people suck, hasn't The Matrix taught you anything? ;P

View next topic
View previous topic