Unreal Ops Forum Index

Home FAQ Memberlist

View next topic
View previous topic
 Unreal Ops Forum Index » Unreal Ops Soap Box
Tycho
Wanna-Be Webmaster

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 1:12 am

I hate reporting this but I have bad news about a founding member of Unreal Ops.

Robert 'Sensei' Townley passed away in a car accident and is no longer with us. He was a founding member of Unreal Ops and an avid Unreal fan. Here is a quote from his wife Shannon that she wanted to share with everyone.

Quote:
I wanted to get the word out to all of you guys that he knew and loved playing with....

Now I want to show her how much he will be missed by everyone in the Unreal Community. Please tell your Sensei stories here as I will be giving this link to his wife. If you have a pic of the crazy bald-headed guy please send me a copy as I lost mine when my HD crashed last year.

In the Immortal words of Socrates who said, "I drank what?"

Last edited by Tycho on Tue Jul 08, 2003 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
PistonHonda

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 1:19 am

I just remember talking to him on voice late at night. he was a cool guy. he was a black belt in more than 1 martial art i belive.
IcyLogik

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 1:23 am

Well I did not know the guy personally. He was an awsome level headed admin in any tourney, and we all use his TS2 server daily. So from this I can gather he was generous, smart, friendly, and cool. I never knew him really but I feel very sad right now. RIP Man, best regards to his family.
phar0e

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 1:43 am

Sensei was a great person. I've known him for a few years while playing Unreal Tournament. Summer of 2001 at Ultra Unreal 1 I got to meet him, he sat across the table from me. I was in two clans with Sensei and a PCL League team for a short while. Up until recently when he started working again we would chat for hours on end on TeamSpeak(voice-chat program). We would talk about everything from politics to gaming. One could learn a lot from this man just by listening.

I regret that I did not get to say good-bye. I hope that people in his personal life got to see the person we saw; a kind, smart, and patient person. My condolences go out to his wife. I'll be praying for you and your family.
irongull

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 1:43 am

I feel privileged that I had the opportunity to play with him in UO. Sensei was a damn fine player. If you were cool, he was cool. If you were an ass, he let you have it. He was a strong guy, a likable guy, and he took crap from noone. On anybody else, the name Sensei would have seemed pretentious. On him, it was a damn good fit.
Drew

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 2:59 am

I didnt get to know sensei too well, but from what I got he was a nice, giving, and respectfull man. I hope hes now in a better place and my condolences to his family.
Priest

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 9:22 am

Sensei kicked ass! He was an awesome addition to any clan and I'm sorry I kicked him out of RR in hindsight for such a lame assed reason. We were practicing some stuff and I asked everyone to lay down so they werent jumping around...so Sensei goes up to this lady we had on our team and kept humping her Laughing Funny guy...

We talked on voice a lot and he introduced me to pugs and higher skilled players... thanks Sensei! I won't forget you!
PhartNocker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 9:28 am

Rest in Peace Sensei!!

I am glad that I had the oppurtunity to play with and against him! He was a great guy!
slyntz
UO Noob

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 9:54 am

Sup Guys,

Honestly I don't know much more that I can say that has not already been said about him. He was all of the above and SO much more. We talked SOOOOOO many times about everything. When he was in my clan 'Immortality' we became great friends and had an endless respect for eachother. He bought the TS2 server for CGN which shock_g and I had started with coop. He was such an awesome and level headed guy. ALWAYS bringing the light to any debate we might be having. Never afraid to dispute anything he felt was wrong.

When he informed me that he had had issues with his job at RoadRunner we talked for hours about what he could do next. He said things were a bit rough but with the support of his wife and kids it was all going to work out.

When I told him I was engaged he like every man told me about the ups and downs of the married life, but I think he trule believed it was well worth it.

One night on TS2 he was doing his 'Hank' impressions. shock_g, stealth, relic, and I were dying laughing. He could make us laugh at anytime so quick with that impression. Shock_g has the east coast accent and Sensei would always start 'Hank' when shock_g was around.

Never forget the quote they both used 'You fuckin Whores!'

They were great times and if his family needs anything, I will do what I can. I hope the best for his wife and kids, and from how he spoke of his wife she will do great. I know he loved with all his heart as he spoke about you often. And I know he loved his kids more then anything.

My only regret is I did not get to meet him in person, but I am happy I atleast got to know what I did. He was a great guy, and would do what he could for anyone.

R.I.P My friend...My Brother
ZYX2323

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 10:00 am

Good Bye my Friend... Will remember the great games we had...

-ZYX2323-
CageRage

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 10:46 am

Sensei was one hell of a person and like many others said, was hella fun to just talk to and hangout with.I can remember many things about Sensei and the person he was but having the chance to meet him at the 1st UU was something to never forget.

Sensei will be missed by all that got to know him!

Not often that I am at a loss for words but right now I am Crying or Very sad
Killian

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 11:26 am

only talked to him a few times, but much respect to him, was always nice and always got a "hey Killy" on the pubs from him, my condolences to his family

Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 12:31 pm

A great guy and player. He will be missed. My prayers to his family.

Grimjack
Nukular

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 1:09 pm

I was so shocked to hear about Sensei my deepest condolences go out to his family.

I've been away from UT for a long time now (almost 2 years) but i'll always remember Sensei as being the guy who originally brought me into UO so many moons ago.

He was the exact same age as me - that's too young to die - especially with 2 kids.

I'm pretty pissed off at God today.

-
Nukular
Tycho
Wanna-Be Webmaster

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 1:16 pm

Nuk!

Its been a long time and I wish it was under better circumstances. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts.

In the Immortal words of Socrates who said, "I drank what?"

View next topic
View previous topic