Unreal Ops Forum Index

Home FAQ Memberlist

View next topic
View previous topic
 Unreal Ops Forum Index » Unreal Ops Soap Box
stinger

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 3:54 pm

so i finally get around to refomatting my pc and before i do so i picked up a 200gb wd hard drive.....installed it and windows xp pro....everything went fine.....tried loading up ut2004 after installing it and connected to a server......during the loading stage the pc clicks and restarts!!! Sad so i figured that the new hard drive was overloading my 350w power supply.....order a 600w power supply online.....comes this morning and i install it fine.....sure enough go to load a map and the same damn thing happens!!??

any idea what the problem is?

xp pro
amd athlon 2400+
512 kingston ddr 2100 ram
gfrce 4ti 4200 128mb
200gb wd hd 7200 rpm 8mb buffer
80 gb wd hd
cheap ass ecs mobo (please dont tell me i need a new one cuz it was wokring fine Sad)

thanks
Dragon Rage
UO Staff

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 4:05 pm

First, have you updated all of your drivers? It's really likely that when you reinstalled WinXP, you just have old drivers that aren't compatible with UT04. I'd do a nice Windows Update before going any further.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 4:08 pm

I have all thw windows updates....and like i said the problem is not ut2k4 because the computer hangs and restarts whenever i do something taxing, for example i tried burning a dvd the other day and it restarted.....
Raven
UO Staff

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 4:38 pm

what mobo you have?

i had the same problem with my old one, (Abit KR7A-133) whenever i tried to move a large amount of files from anything onto my harddrive (or even between folders on my HD) i crashed...

you might wanna try finding your mobo Manufacturer's site and seeing if you can update the bios (you never know if somehow a close lightning strike flashed it or corrupted part of it...) thats about all i can tell ya...

Stinger

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 11:17 pm

is there a program that can test the integrity of my componenets to determine whether or not the mobo is the problem, or the ram or what have you?.....i know u can physically swap componenets but i recently got rid of all the extra pc-133 ram and stuff so that wont work......It jus doesnt make sense.....could the hard drvie be the problem?.....or is it jus sheer coincidence that the mobo or ram decided to die right when i get a new harddrive....

b/c before i installed the new hd ut2k4 worked fine with the same mobo ram and video card
Cheetah
Ultimate Fanboy

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 8:58 am

this looks like the same problem i had/have.
http://www.barbos.net/unrealops/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=2599
only mine doesnt restart, but shutdown...
iv had it before with other things then 3D Mark, just when not doing anything special..

<Rachel> Razz
Raven
UO Staff

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 9:35 am

like i said in my above post

Quote:

you might wanna try finding your mobo Manufacturer's site and seeing if you can update the bios (you never know if somehow a close lightning strike flashed it or corrupted part of it...) thats about all i can tell ya...

thats gotta be your first stop.

always start at the thing you expect least...
and unplug everything except the basics (mobo, CPU, RAM, HD and CDROM)
then see if you stil have the problem.. its a simple process of elimination...

Stinger

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 2:56 am

alright....well i got ahold of some ram and a diff vid card and tried swapping them and no luck......

so i have ruled out:

power supply
ram
gfx card

im going to do the mobo bios and then try reinstalling windows i spose?

also is there a way to get sp1 if i have an older version of xp.....cuz my 200gb hd is suppossed to work only with sp1.....i installed my non-sp1 xp and it recognized it fine but im thinking that may be the problem
Raven
UO Staff

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 8:15 am

all you have to do to get SP1 for ANY xp version is to go to windows update and start the download....

Start -> All programs -> (at the top) Windows Update

that should give you all the updates for your computer.

try doing that before you do anything else.

hope this helps...

Cheetah
Ultimate Fanboy

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 12:00 pm

Quote:
nevaR ask Raven
Because he nevaR knows!

you know to much, you sure your the real raven?

<Rachel> Razz
Kharnellius
Spam King-In-Training

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 11:13 pm

Raven wrote:
all you have to do to get SP1 for ANY xp version is to go to windows update and start the download....

Start -> All programs -> (at the top) Windows Update

that should give you all the updates for your computer.

try doing that before you do anything else.

hope this helps...

Also if you are downloading the service pack normally you can only install it seperately from other updates. In other words when you install the service pack and reboot go back to windows update and make sure you got all the other critical updates as well by running the update again.

Last edited by Kharnellius on Wed Jul 32, 2008 13:19am; edited 237 times in total
Homercidal
Crazed Fan

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 12:09 pm

Do a Search for something called Autoloader XP. It allows you to install all of the latest fixes (and allows you to tweak many other aspects in the process). I believe it also has SP1. That way you could install SP1 and make sure all fixes are in place.

Double-check the temps too. I had a computer once that was giving wrong readings.

-

View next topic
View previous topic