Unreal Ops Forum Index

Home FAQ Memberlist

View next topic
View previous topic
 Unreal Ops Forum Index » Unreal Tournament Series
old iron
UO Noob

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 5:59 pm

While running UT2K3 in dedicated mode, about 3 to 6 maps, sometimes more, sometimes less, 1 or more clients will not get joined to the game, they are added as spectators. I have spectators turned off, (0). Most of the time, you can get the client in by stopping 'ESC', go to the server browser and rejoin. I have had to stop and restart the server one time to fix the problem. I am running the 2225 patch, on a P3-800 with 128 mb ram. Never more than 8 clients on the lan. Any suggestions?
Peoii
Ultimate Fanboy

Location: Post Falls, ID, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 4:24 pm

Well, for a server, those system requirements are a tad low. Couple of questions:

1) What OS are you running? If it's windows, that might be more of the problem, the server might be saying "look! I can't handle any more people right now! throw em as spectator". Course, could be the same for a linux server, though usually they have less overhead so your 800 wouldn't be as big of an issue.

2) Are you running bots in the game? Or is it straight players? If your running bots, try turning them off, their a massive CPU hog, and with those low of specs, I'd definately try something lower.

3) Get more RAM! for the love of god man, GET MORE RAM! (sorry, personal bias, but sheesh, with ram prices this cheap anymore, might as well put as much as you can afford into that sucker, it'll help BIG TIME!)

Hopefully this'll give ya some help. Sorry for the delay in answering this, I've been rather busy job hunting and getting away from the heat in this town right now Wink

SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0
0 Rows Returned.
old iron
UO Noob

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 7:42 pm

The system works alright for as many as 8 - 10 people normally. I only started using it for UT2K3, but it really works well for UT. It will occasionally hitch when 8 - 10 people are on, but I attribute this to the propogation delay going from the 100mb switch, to the 10/half hub the server is on. This not being able to get in is something that has started happening recently. One of the factors that I introduced is the TTM mod. I started running it in standalone, seemed to work ok on my 2 local systems. If I put it on the server, no client gets past "loading -insert mapname_". I recopied the ut2003.ini file back. (I try to remember to always make a duplicate of any file that I alter before I alter it.) Once I did that, and made just a couple of minor changes, I could get 1 machine back in a match. I got to play 6 maps without a problem last night. I haven't had 2 players for a couple of days. The problem would usually pop up anywhere from 2 or 3 to 5 or 6 maps in the rotation. Sometimes it would be 1, or 2, or maybe 3 that couldn't get in to a specific map. If it were your machine that wasn't allowed in, you usually had to use "ESC", and browse back to the server and rejoin. Sometimes only once was required, sometimes 6 or more times. I usually use setting of minimum players = 8 to backfill with bots. This is usually the max. number of players here anyway. This also gives me the opportunity to have several people check out maps at the same time. We just use them in team deathmatches, and grudge deathmatchs when a couple of players have a bone to pick with each other.
Raven
UO Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 8:27 pm

dude unless you have a EXTREMELY fast internet connection for that server it wont even come close to useing all of that 10/Mbps hub
even a t1 connection isnt fast enough to fill all that up

old iron
UO Noob

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 8:23 pm

True, it is an 800 p3, but I run the server in the dedicated mode. This frees up resources pretty well. Yes, it is windohs XP.

I only have dial up, that's why I use the server to host lan parties. I make mention of my last post in the "UT2K4" topic because in it I mentioned better Bot AI, and more optimization for use on lans. Having many times to join games while on dialup, but on a server that looks like it has acceptable ping, join up and you are frozen in time. At least on the lan, a 600 mhz p3 with 128mb ram can still play. My area doesn't have cable or dsl. Local phone co. says we're lucky the phones work. Anyway, I like the web interface for the server, but I would like to see support for on the fly .ini edits .

it's more like a jar of jalapenos.

What you do today,

might burn your ass tomorrow."
Peoii
Ultimate Fanboy

Location: Post Falls, ID, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 2:13 am

windows XP as a dedicated server with only 128megs of RAM????

*wince*

ok, winXP alone NEEDS 128megs, so your cacheing already when you start talking about UT2k3.... to quote microsoft:

Quote:

128 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended (64 MB minimum supported; may limit performance and some features)

So yeah, definately under-rammed for that server.

It's definately something you'll want to consider to fix the issues you've mentioned. You might be able to get away with only 128megs if you reinstall the server to run Linux, as the base memory print of most is usually only around 32-50 megs, leaving over half of your memory free on a 128meg stick for your other applications. Not to mention the lack of overhead from running a GUI environment.

Most likely, that's causing the problem. It's prolly going out saying "SHE CANNA TAKE ANY MORE CAPTAIN!" or something to that effect (in a scottish accent of course Wink ) as players try to connect and it has to do the dreaded "swap" to gain more resources..... Basic rule of thumb, anytime you hear the word "swap" in regards to memory, be afraid, be very afraid.

So yeah, either Linux, or more ram, would be my suggestions.

BTW: can we please keep these on topic? jumpin from thread to thread just to get the jist of what your sayin is drivin me nutz.

SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0
0 Rows Returned.
Lalli-Oni
UO Staff

Location: A small island in the middle of the Atlantic ocean...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 3:16 am

uuh where are you from with no phone company?

View next topic
View previous topic