Unreal Ops Forum Index

Home FAQ Memberlist

View next topic
View previous topic
 Unreal Ops Forum Index » Unreal Tournament Series
TWD
UO Noob

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 7:36 pm

If you've been reading the ina forums you would notice that epic has stated they have made a change to bombing run. When you recieve the ball your translocator charges will be drained. Now a lot of the hardcore bombing run clans have come along and started to complain. So to start a discussion here. Answer these questions

Do you play ut2003
If so do you play bombing run
if not what is the one thing you hate the most about ut2003 and how would you fix it
and finally post your comments about epic's suggested change.

Capture|BeyondUnreal|GoodGameOGC
Raven
UO Staff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 7:56 pm

i play ut2003, but i dont play BR, because it's too much like football, and i hate football. and i hate the fact that you cant defend yourself when you have the ball.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 4:47 am

There are several ways to improve Bombing run. The absolute best way would be to make it playable in two vs two.

Second best method, enable the person carrying the ball to defend themselves, not attack, but defend. ie. Double or triple the effectiveness of the shield gun and make it usable whilst holding the ball, but make it drain faster too. Making moments when it can be timed to perfection and be effective, or wasted by someone not appreciative of it's usefulness. Those who know exactly where the goal is could back towards it while being pursued and block with some level of effectiveness the shots coming at them. Would do a lot to pickle campers with lightning guns too, as flashing the shield could put them off their shot, or even block the shot.

Other ways to improve it......

make some really vertical levels, ball starting down the bottom, and when dropped rolling back towards the bottom, falling off of levels, use the karma to slope all the platforms on the way to a high placed goal, so any droppings of the ball cause it to roll back towards the edge, then fall down to the bottom, bouncing on the way down. This would ensure some made chasing of the ball, and encourage passing to get the ball up faster.

Make volleying beneficial. If you recieve the ball from a pass, and throw it in a short amount of time, (very short amount of time) you're capable of greater distance/speed in the throw, or some form of slight auto aim to a team mate, so a one-two could be performed nearly flawlessly more often.

Allow the person with the ball to run slightly faster than eveyone else, and jump slightly higher. This would put the emphasis on defense. Alternatively make them run slower and jump lower meaning the emphasis moves to cooperative play.

Create a weapon/tool that kind of sucks the ball toward you when its in the air or on the ground. Like a mini tracking beam. Obviously this would leave you open to being hit while using it, but would certainly liven up passing levels. Secondly, make this weapon/tool, far more effective when you're in the air, maybe even completely ineffective when on the ground. Thereby making it only usable by those that have practiced, so spammers can't run around with it on. Maybe make it completely directional as well.
Cheetah
Ultimate Fanboy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 1:00 pm

I play UT2003
i play BR
they should make it so that there is a better team spirit. and they pass the bal. and dont go off score for their own.
i dont understand the changes thery gonna make in UT2k4...
explain.. Confused

<Rachel> Razz
Sir_Brizz
Irix WAnnabe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 10:46 pm

Here is the basics of it.

When you get the ball you have several choices. You can:

1. Run with the ball
2. Throw it on the ground retreive it wash rinse repeat
3. Pass it to a teammate
4. Throw it to an enemy so you can wax them

The changes made effect number 2 only.

If you grab the ball and toss it on the ground, on purpose or on accident, your TL charges go bye bye. If you pass it to another player (enemy or friendly) you keep your TL charges.

They have also added additional improvements to passing to make it easier to get the ball to a moving teammate. Apparently the ball tracks alot better than it did before.

This is all to get BR played more and less just self-passing yourway to victory, and IMO this change will make me return to BR, at least for a while.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 10:38 am

Very Happy sounds good Smile

<Rachel> Razz
SirYawnalot
Rabid Poster

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 3:22 pm

Sounds good to me too, although really most of BR's problems would be solved if more servers just disabled translocators and cut out BR-Skyline. However UT2004's change encourages teamplay, which can only be a good thing. In pubs at the moment, the biggest nod to teamplay you can see from most players is when they link gun-chain with you (usually when there's no enemies anywhere near Razz).
Cheetah
Ultimate Fanboy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 3:47 pm

I love skyline! it rulez!

and i never saw, did a link chain. what does it do anyway?
is it any use in BR?

<Rachel> Razz
SirYawnalot
Rabid Poster

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 4:04 pm

Oh dear, Cheetah.. o_O

If you use secondary Link on a teammate who's also carrying a Link Gun (their beacon will be green instead of yellow), all Link projectiles they fire will be more powerful. The power-up lasts for as long as you keep the Link secondary locked on your teammate. I think up to 4 players can be chained to make the person at the top of the chain more powerful with each player connected.
Dragon Rage
UO Staff

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 8:05 am

I think it's three people total, but man, if you wanna take out a ball carrier and his support team FAST, do a link. {DSK} is known for ambushing people with a team link when they come down our bomb hall. Bwa ha ha....

Raven
UO Staff

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 9:36 am

lol

Cheetah
Ultimate Fanboy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:13 am

lol, i kinda knew that, but i never used it in battle. what use is it if you do it on a ball carier? he cant shoot.

<Rachel> Razz
SirYawnalot
Rabid Poster

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 2:59 pm

Gah. Re-read my post.
Cheetah
Ultimate Fanboy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 9:57 am

SirYawnalot wrote:
Oh dear, Cheetah.. o_O

I think up to 4 players can be chained to make the person at the top of the chain more powerful with each player connected.

more powerfull? but the carier has no weapons in his hand, so what is the use of it?

<Rachel> Razz
SirYawnalot
Rabid Poster

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 12:03 pm

Okay master C I'll rephrase: in most servers, the only nod most players give to teamplay is chaining the link, and even then it's usually when there's no enemies for several miles. So anything that encourages more teamplay (like the new BR changes) can only be a good thing.

It would be pretty neat if chaining the link gun to a ball carrier could give the BC some kind of bonus though.... perhaps make him/her absorb less damage in a similar way to UT's body armour.

View next topic
View previous topic