Unreal Ops Forum Index

Home FAQ Memberlist

View next topic
View previous topic
 Unreal Ops Forum Index » Unreal Ops News Comments
zenmaster
Crazed Fan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 1:41 pm

Beyondunreal has a new coding system that they have put together; so that you can alter the color of your player name in the new expanded multiplayer for, Unreal II. You use drop boxes to select the colors you want for the separate parts of your name; then you will have to save this modification to your MyUser.ini under your Unreal XMP System folder.
[UO]Zenmaster
Peoii
Ultimate Fanboy

Location: Post Falls, ID, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 5:17 pm

Well that just sucks in this gamers opinion. Colouring names was one of the things I disliked from Quake 3 (ok, there were a lot of things I disliked, but that was one of them). Sure, it adds a personal flair, but it also can be very distracting.

Hopefully they'll add an option to strip the colour codes from the names for those players like myself who like things neat, simple, and tidy.

SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0
0 Rows Returned.
MachDelta
Novice Spammer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 10:00 pm

I didn't really like the colored names in Q3 either, but I think thats because players would go insane with them, and do stupid things like have every letter a different color. Go Rainbow princess! Rolling Eyes
XMP has a limit on the length of your name (currently), and color codes count towards that limit, so the most people only pick one to three colors for their name. Its not so bad that way, especially considering not everyone likes to use the colored names. We had about a 50/50 split for the testers (colored vs not). Colors were also handy for identifying people because the beta was so small. So, for example, if I saw a certain shade of pink, I knew it was Cookiecups. Or Babs's green-blue-green, or Snakes olive shade. I wore orange for most of the test, and I assume other players picked up on that as well. We were a fairly small group though, so that may only apply to clans or servers with regulars.
It'll definitly be interesting to see how the public reacts to it though... weather or not its overused or abused in some way, or even totally ignored (cant imagine that happening Wink )

View next topic
View previous topic