Home FAQ Memberlist

View next topic
View previous topic
 Unreal Ops Forum Index » Unreal Ops News Comments
Peoii
Ultimate Fanboy

Location: Post Falls, ID, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 2:09 am

So, while reading Tycho's news for yesterday, I sat down and was thinking "hey fool, you havn't checked for any info on Doom3 lately! get to it!". Ok ok ok, fine, I did. And to give you an idea of how long it's been since I did do any research on it, last I checked, http://www.doom3.com/ still linked to Id Software's main page. If you're like me, go ahead, check out the Doom 3 site, they've got a rather interesting trailer up, as well as some desktops and a plethora of screenshots. All in all, a good teaser site, though I'm still fairly skeptical about the game, and I'll tell you why.

Doom 3 has been touted as this "revolutionary" piece of work right? Well then I ask you this, does the Mars base remind anyone else of scenes from Unreal 2? Sure does to me, down to the detailing in the labs and everything, and that's only the start of it. I still can't help but feel that things just look like big wax figures, anyone else feeling like that? I know I'm not alone in this neck of the woods, because I've talked to a couple people who feel the same way, but I'd like to see what you guys think. I mean heck, this is targetted as one of the largest releases of the year, and it still looks rather ruff to this gamers eyeballs.

So, watch the trailer, and if you have already, watch it again, then give us your feedback. Do you think Doom 3 is being all it can be? Or do you think it's holding back? Discuss!
-dp-
UO Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 6:34 am

I think Doom 3 will be a really cool game but these "super nice graphics" games that people talked about had way better graphics then UT2003 and U2 and all, what happened to them. They have been braggin about the Doom 3 game since they where going to release GeForce 3 and told people that it was going to be THE card to have for playing Doom 3 , I´d like to see how a GF3 would handle Doom 3 when it comes out. The graphics is nice and all but so are alot of other games that will be released this year. When UT2003 came , I walked around the levels just looking at how amazing it all looked and you got this cool feeling and really felt that games got a big step forward because of this game. I´m pretty sure I won´t get the same feeling from Doom 3 but I hope we will see it this year so I can play it anyway. Looks scary and fun !

-dp-
SirYawnalot
Rabid Poster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 6:35 pm

The fact is that it takes place in cramped, claustrophobic corridors. Therefore there's nothing truely beautiful in the game, and you won't spend time just gazing at the scenery. Imo, good graphics are only necessary if you've got something pretty to show. Quake 3 seems like it's going to be a modern day equivalent of the original Aliens vs Predator, which is still fantastic today despite aged graphics.
Lalli-Oni
UO Staff

Location: A small island in the middle of the Atlantic ocean...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 6:42 pm

playing AvP2 on a LAN with all the lights turned down is just amazing... hearing the screams of nerds is truly something to be sold on CDs Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 9:31 pm

LOL...i tried the broom3 alpha, it made my lcd turn grey...and nothing happened.

i heard that in the alpha when you walked instead of footsptep sounds there were shotgun sounds lol

i want my rank changed to spamming factory Wink

Last edited by alpha2003 on Fri Jan 09, 2004 3:08 am; edited 1 time in total
-dp-
UO Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 2:20 am

Alien Vs Predator sure is good Smile

-dp-
alpha2003
The Underworld God of Spamming

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 6:07 pm

hmmm never played it
zenmaster
Crazed Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 7:34 pm

Ive got my pre-order box and my poster, and I'm seriously hyped! Twisted Evil if you haden't seen id has a site that mirrors Activisions www.doom3.com site here http://www.ua-corp.com/ nothing their but it realy looks like it could be realy cool Smile have a look!

Zen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 6:07 am

zenmaster wrote:
Ive got my pre-order box and my poster...

When you preorder games, do you pay for the game in advance and get an empty box delivered to you (do you pay shipping x 2) ?
Curious how these things really works Smile

-dp-
Lalli-Oni
UO Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:56 pm

we scandinavian people have one skill that those other peeps don't have... patience and botcha

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 11:03 pm

Lalli-Oni wrote:
we scandinavian people have one skill that those other peeps don't have... patience and botcha

some of the USA peps have that too.... dunno where they are tho Wink

CUZ THEIR AINT NONE HERE!!!!

alpha2003
The Underworld God of Spamming

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 12:59 am

lol insulting the usa ... Wink

i c u have the nevar thing in ur sig hehe
Lalli-Oni
UO Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 12:17 am

alpha2003 wrote:
lol insulting the usa ... Wink

i c u have the nevar thing in ur sig hehe

me insulting the US?... NEVAR!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 2:52 pm

-dp- wrote:
zenmaster wrote:
Ive got my pre-order box and my poster...

When you preorder games, do you pay for the game in advance and get an empty box delivered to you (do you pay shipping x 2) ?
Curious how these things really works Smile

My brother got me the a pre order package for Doom III, it's just a pre order slip with a poster and some exclusive screens, you can look here to see what was in it http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/doom3/checkprices.html I also got a 50$ gift card so I pretty much get DOOM III for free Twisted Evil did I mention I also got a 9600 XT so I get Half Life II on my door step the week after release!

View next topic
View previous topic