Home FAQ Memberlist

View next topic
View previous topic
 Unreal Ops Forum Index » Unreal Ops News Comments
Peoii
Ultimate Fanboy

Location: Post Falls, ID, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 1:14 am

Popping around the internet today I ran across this press release, and this article over at GotFrag? that detail an event that occurred late last night at the Cyber X Games event in Los Angles, California. Seems a fight broke out between two of the teams present at the event, and a member of one of the teams went to his vehicle and pulled out a gun, which he then held to the head of the a member from the other team, while the gun holders team encouraged him to pull the trigger. And I quote:

As Chris, and others attempted to calm the situation a member/associate of Team BZ ran to his car opened the trunk of the car grabbed a gun and placed it to the head of Chris Hill while other Team Members and associates encouraged the person with the gun to fire!

Definitely not a good thing at all, especially in light of so many good things gamers have been doing to sway people away from such commonly unfounded beliefs. In the interview, it does appear as though the issue was handled with the utmost proficiency and tact, as is quoted by this question and answer set:

Has the person who pulled the gun been apprehended? Is there any further news you can share with us regarding what happened?

I have not spoken to the local police department since late Saturday night; however, I know that the investigation is ongoing and that charges will be filed. The police do have the names of the players and teams associated with the actions and we assume that this will reach a quick conclusion. I can tell everyone that the person that pulled the gun was not part of the BZ team, rather, friends of a certain member of that team.

So, for gamers out there, please, take this as a sign of the worst we can get, and lets all hope that things like this cease to happen immediately.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 6:06 am

God sake, people really need to grow up a little bit eh!? I had mentioned something on Atari Unreal 2 Forums about killings/suicides and how entertainment dont really help especially kids, below is a section that is kind of related -

...Anyway, this whole topic also got me thinking about the gaming industry and how gaming has kind of influenced children mostly to do certain things, for example. copy GTA. I just think that if parents would have abit more control on what the children use perhaps events wouldn't occur. Take video ratings for example, you dont see 15 year olds in a 18 rated movie, parents dont take them, but what makes games different? Ratings are there for a reason. I was speaking to someone i know about this and how if parents dont understand the internet and aspects of it then perhaps they should educate themselves for their childrens safety, this guy i was speaking to had 2 children and doesnt let them play things with blood ratings, for example SoF1/2, if he does he puts the parental blood thing on. He was going on about how parents who allow children on the internet should have something like net nanny running to block certain websites and mostly chat rooms, i agreed with him. But people can do as they wish with there children.

This sort of news isnt good for gaming or gamers, especially little kids, they might get the wrong idea and think its a good thing or for the best. Absolute shame people have to result in that sort of madness so to speak.
MachDelta
Novice Spammer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 11:32 am

Y'know, i'm really hoping this gets better instead of worse as time rolls on.
Like Guest said, a lot of parents today have only the vaugest understanding of the internet and games. But the first of the videogame generation is starting to grow up, get hitched, and have children of their own. I sincerely hope this more educated (in terms of net and games) generation of parents realizes their responsibility to their own children. It'll probably be another decade or two before we see how well the mass gaming generation are able to rear their young'uns... but for our sake, I hope we're capable of doing a better job than our predecessors. Because sh*t like this just has to stop before it starts. Sad

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 3:18 pm

wow, that sucks Sad
cAm
UO Noob

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 5:18 pm

Plumb_Drumb wrote:
wow, that sucks Sad

definately... Sad

edit:something is either really fuxx0red w/ the forums or my internet..... Evil or Very Mad
Raven
UO Staff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 6:02 pm

your probably hitting the submit button twice, dont do that Smile

cAm
UO Noob

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 6:08 pm

except that if i dont hit the button twice, then it takes me to the cannot find server or whatever it is...

at least some of the time i mean, but im on a T1 lan... so i dont know what the prob is...

it doesnt do it with atari..

Last edited by cAm on Wed Dec 10, 2003 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

View next topic
View previous topic