Unreal Ops Forum Index

Home FAQ Memberlist

View next topic
View previous topic
 Unreal Ops Forum Index » Unreal Ops News Comments
Tycho
Wanna-Be Webmaster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 4:59 pm

I wasn't going to talk about the new project this week, but since I am filling in on the news I may as well. Smile Next month represents a pretty cool milestone for Unreal Ops and I am doing something cool for it. I have been promising you guys a cool article for a little while now and I intend to deliver it. I am going to be doing an extensive article on the History of Unreal Technology.

I have spent the last few days going through all of the old website archives (took a while since we only have PHP enable for 7 months) searching for past information to go with the present and future projects. Some of the more interesting things are like finding a quote from Epic denying Unreal Warfare then them confirming it. I swear those guys have a love/hate relationship with us fans, especially towards me LOL!

While doing research on Unreal Tech I came across an old post from 2001 that ties in to a recent interview by our Unreal Tech hero Tim Sweeney. The news post is reprinted from November 29, 2001.

This is going to be a hot topic as we get closer and closer to Unreal 2's release. Since UT2003, Unreal Championship and Unreal 2 are all basically finished products everyone is now wondering, what is next for Epic? Well I can say this, what got all of this started was a recent interview of CliffyB in which he stated the following.Interviewer: "When will we hear any word about Epic's next game?"
CliffyB: "Not for a while, I'm afraid. Take a peek at the recent Comdex video if you're that eager!"Since I actually had some free time Monday night I was able to watch the entire Comdex NVidia FX Video. In it Tim Sweeney talks about the new engine capabilities that have come about as a result of the GeForce FX features: Full Floating Point Shading Capabilities Per Pixel, Lighting & Vertex Shaders. Mark Rein then talks about how many polys are used in the character and the entire scene. 1.6 million and 10 millions respectively. Tim finishes up with letting us know that the card and engine can handle 20-30 fully lite characters.

Therein lies some good mysteries. The movement of the character in the Comdex Video looks very similar to the ones in the Unreal Tech Video from September 2000. Obviously they are more advanced now but it got me wondering about just what is Unreal Warfare?

- Unreal Tech Video September 2000

- Unreal Tech Video November 2002

As you can see some of the information that will be in the article is older but still cool none the less. I hope to have Part One done by Monday. I have fired off a couple of questions about Unreal Tech to some of the older guys at Epic. Once I hear back from them I will put Part Two of it up. Well between this article and shipping out some prizes it is going to be a busy couple of weeks for me. See you soon!
zenmaster
Crazed Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 7:36 pm

Sounds good, looking foward to more on the subject! Smile

Zen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 7:40 pm

yup yup
Lalli-Oni
UO Staff

Location: A small island in the middle of the Atlantic ocean...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:20 pm

I DEMAND RETRIBUTION!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:24 pm

umm ok... go ahead...DEMAND!
Ghash hardass zhd
Novice Spammer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:30 am

Sounds sweeet to me tycho......

Angst jammer og fortvilelse

Angst jammer og fortvilelse

View next topic
View previous topic