View previous topic
 Unreal Ops Forum Index » Unreal Ops Soap Box
Cheetah
Ultimate Fanboy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 1:23 pm

hey yall, this thought is based on this:
Quote:
Mr. SiN, will the Manta hover on water?

<DrSiN[Epic]> BasketCase I don't think we have any real water in an onslaught map so I don't really know.

well, first of, will it hover on water? and what will heapen if you drive a scorpion into the weather for example?

and you can put Vehicles in DM maps right, like sya i make a map in Ueditor, and add some mantas etc, or rapotors?

justa few questions i like to be answered Very Happy
thanks yall

<Rachel> Razz
alpha2003
The Underworld God of Spamming

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 5:54 pm

they wouldnt answer those questions when i asked em, i think dr sin said not sure.
Kharnellius
Spam King-In-Training

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 10:13 pm

Well going off of what would make sense I would guess that the mantra would hover since it is in fact a hovercraft of sorts. That's sorta the advantage to them in the first place.

As for the Scorpion, etc I would imagine they would make it be able to go into the water until it got to a certain point then put some static barrier so it could go out farther. Either that or they make it sink once you get too far and everyone bails automatically. Razz

Last edited by Kharnellius on Wed Jul 32, 2008 13:19am; edited 237 times in total
Lalli-Oni
UO Staff

Location: A small island in the middle of the Atlantic ocean...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 4:16 am

hovercraft would use the blowers on it's side to hold itself from the ground. if you would stop on the water it could be so much that tha water can't fill up the space that is generated by the blowing of the water

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:43 am

Lalli-Oni wrote:
hovercraft would use the blowers on it's side to hold itself from the ground. if you would stop on the water it could be so much that tha water can't fill up the space that is generated by the blowing of the water
right Dr Scienentis..
but what i mean, how will the game react? and can you make DM maps and vehicle etc?

<Rachel> Razz
Homercidal
Crazed Fan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 10:12 am

The Manta could not hover on the water. The motor windings would become wet and short themselves out. The device that automatically unclips the driver's seatbelt would not function because safety features would keep it locked in the case of a motor malfunction.

Basically at this point the driver/pilot is screwed. He will sink rapidly to the depths of the water, while pinned in his vehicle of doom, to die slowly and painfully.

It's not a pretty sight.

Personally I am considering setting up some kind of class-action lawsuit to benefit the numerous widows/widowers out there. I mean, they didn't even put a disclaimer in the cockpit. You'd have to open up the motor housing in order to expose a tiny little sticker that says, "DANGER - This vehicle is for land use only. Operation in high moisture areas can lead to motor malfunction."

They don't even provide for manual override on the saftey harness. Nor do they include floatation devices on-board.

To me it seems as though they were too much of a rush to get these things out to market without any real concern for the driver's safety.

Deplorable.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 2:30 pm

thats weird. my scorpion came with a 100 page manual.
and plenty of warnings Razz

<Rachel> Razz
Raven
UO Staff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 6:02 pm

Homercidal wrote:
The Manta could not hover on the water. The motor windings would become wet and short themselves out. The device that automatically unclips the driver's seatbelt would not function because safety features would keep it locked in the case of a motor malfunction.

Basically at this point the driver/pilot is screwed. He will sink rapidly to the depths of the water, while pinned in his vehicle of doom, to die slowly and painfully.

It's not a pretty sight.

Personally I am considering setting up some kind of class-action lawsuit to benefit the numerous widows/widowers out there. I mean, they didn't even put a disclaimer in the cockpit. You'd have to open up the motor housing in order to expose a tiny little sticker that says, "DANGER - This vehicle is for land use only. Operation in high moisture areas can lead to motor malfunction."

They don't even provide for manual override on the saftey harness. Nor do they include floatation devices on-board.

To me it seems as though they were too much of a rush to get these things out to market without any real concern for the driver's safety.

Deplorable.

OMG that's hillarious!

Cheetah
Ultimate Fanboy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 4:55 am

yeah, it must have took him some time ot write it..
spelling check Razz

<Rachel> Razz
Kharnellius
Spam King-In-Training

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:41 pm

Cheetah wrote:
yeah, it must have took him some time ot write it..
spelling check Razz

YOU!!!!!! Picking on someone's spelling?!?!?!?! LOL!!!!!!! That'll be the day!

Last edited by Kharnellius on Wed Jul 32, 2008 13:19am; edited 237 times in total
Cheetah
Ultimate Fanboy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:43 pm

NO!
i mean its writtin in such way it could be a manual, or the rights of the human. if he writes like that in school he gets and 10, or A i think you call it.

<Rachel> Razz
Homercidal
Crazed Fan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 9:46 am

Cheetah wrote:
thats weird. my scorpion came with a 100 page manual.
and plenty of warnings Razz

Ah! It is amazing what the threat of litigation can do.

Ever since that NBC Special Report on the hidden dangers of the Manta, the company has been on the alert to prevent lawsuits. It is ironic that NBC was eventually caught-up in a scandal involving the falsifying of safety tests. It turns out that they actually paid a guy to get drawn into the thrust fans, just to show how dangerous it is to not have a screen covering those spinning blades. Second irony is that the had intended on getting their money back after the test, but since the guy put it in his pocket, they had a hard time finding it!.

I hear that next year's models are going to incorporate emergency flotation devices and oxygen masks. All hail the right to sue!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:14 am

Very Happy
those damn guys at ©Manta Inc...

ps. for real, i dont think i saw this wrong but iw as fighting a raptorVraptor dogfight.. and im almost sure i was my left wing close.. couse i was turning, i dident saw it open, but when i flew straight it sure looked like it as closing.. i dunno what i did, but if you look at it it looks like it can fold out.. im probaly wrong, and it was a mirage.. but.. i dunno...

<Rachel> Razz
Raven
UO Staff

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:38 pm

someone told me that the wings had opened for them... i want to know how they do open....

Cheetah
Ultimate Fanboy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:21 pm

you see. im not hallucianting Very Happy
i dunno what heapend, and why.. but it was cool!!
maybe its the crack tho.. Razz

<Rachel> Razz

View next topic
View previous topic