View previous topic
 Unreal Ops Forum Index » Unreal Ops Soap Box
Virt
UO Noob

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 11:43 pm

Original Post from BU.com...
--

Hey,

My name is Virt from clan |SCK| ( http://sckclan.fragism.com ), and I wish to submit this to all the major Unreal Tournament web sites. This e-mail regards to GGL, who was offering a tournament for 6v6 Onslaught (first prize winning team recieves $2000 dollars), but was later dropped from "lack of interest" and switched to TDM. Well, now that we have some other clans that have discovered about this tourney, we wish for this tournament to create a general buzz to any and all the Onslaught clans out there wanting to play in a new tourney. We feel that Onslaught wasn't given a fair chance in this decision, and that we've promised to deliever some basic news about this competition and to get more people involved and get the whole community into this decision. Here's what the post regarding the replacement of Onslaught on GGL:

Quote:
Dear GGL members and UT2004 community,

As a result of the requests made by our members, we have decided to drop UT2004 6v6 Onslaught from our 2004 Online Season. In its place, we have added UT2004 4v4 Team Deathmatch which we think will be a better fit for what the community is currently playing.

Onslaught is a new and exciting team format and will most definitely be added as an Exhibition Ladder as we roll them out in the coming weeks.

In the meantime, sign up your team for the TDM event to win your share of the $50,000 in CASH, plus some great prizes!

Prize Breakdown

1st - $2,000
2nd - $1,000
3rd - $750
4th - $500
5th - $250
6th - $100
7th - $100
8th - $100
9th - $100
10th - $100

Link: http://www.ggl.com/news.php?NewsId=55

Now, as a Onslaught team thats established on ProvingGrounds.com, Clan |SCK| and - a lot of other clans, seeing from the GGL league forums - are wishing for Onslaught to be pushed back into this tournament. I feel, personally, this gives other less established teams a better chance to play in this tournament, so it might not be dominated by TDM clans that have been around since UT99. I really believe with all my heart that if this recieves the right amount of buzz from the Unreal community, we can see this take off back into Onslaught.

This is calling any and all Onslaught clans out there that would be (and who wouldn't be interested in winning 2,000 dollars?) willing to play in this tournament if Onslaught was to be chosen, instead of Team Deathmatch. As a fluent player in both game-types, I'd much rather see this new game type recieve some recognition for it's ingenuity(please forgive any mis-speallings, it's late) and createfulness and be played in more tournaments out there. I think due to its, how should I say... "New Car Smell", it hasn't been around long enough to recieve much interest in competitions, but thats my own personal opinion. Teamwarfare has, I believe, over 60 clans in it's roster for Onslaught. The requirement was for 40 for GGL (I believe).

The thread on GGL's web site, located at the bottom of this e-mail (converted forum post), let's registered members vote for what they wish to play. The Onslaught teams are wanting to create a buzz about this tournament to see it switched back to Onslaught. As the second post in this thread, a moderator/admin says:
Quote:

We made the decision to pull it because of the following reasons:

1. Signups were going relatively slow

2. Quite a few people have emailed in or mentioned to our admins that they would have preferred TDM.

3. With recent news of other onslaught tournaments being cancelled we felt it would actually be beneficial to the UT community to help simplify what they would play.

We aim to please our community, but in this case it's difficult to determine where to go as the community is split down the middle.

There's a couple options I will explore, but in the meantime I think a poll is a really good idea... now that the issue is out in the open.

Please vote everyone!

I believe BeyondUnreal, ProU, and UnrealOps (in no particular order), would be the best places to turn to create this needed "buzz", and would deeply appreciate a news post about this controversy.

Thread link on GGL: http://www.ggl.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=116&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I will be posting this on clan forums and along with other popular Unreal web sites. That is all. Thank you.

-- Virt

P.S: I may start an online petition as well, but I wish for this e-mail and post to be sent, first.

Are you down with the SCKness?!

View next topic
View previous topic