Unreal Ops Forum Index

Home FAQ Memberlist

View next topic
View previous topic
 Unreal Ops Forum Index » Unreal Tournament Series
Lalli-Oni
UO Staff

Location: A small island in the middle of the Atlantic ocean...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 1:35 pm

As I’m sure just about everyone expected, Fragmaster and I had the opportunity to visit Epic today and play some UT2004. Coming into it I was genuinely expecting UT2004 to be a smallish add-on sized game. Coming out of It I was grossly mistaken. UT2004 has more content and fun than UT2003 ever did. Additionally, the poor descriptions of the new Onslaught game type do not in any way do it justice. Even as a hardened and skeptical gamer I was blown away by how much fun Onslaught was. It alone, could almost be a game in itself.
At the present time I don’t have enough energy to do a full write-up, but Fragmaster and I will have more for you in coming days. For now a list of some details and a handful of pictures from the Epic offices will have to suffice.

New weapons exclusive to the Onslaught game mode; a sticky grenade launcher, proximity spider mines, AVRil anti-vehicle rocket launcher.
Over 30 new characters (including new races).
Over 90 new maps.
Revised and done-right Assault game mode. Scenarios include a Starwars-like mission that uses jet-fighters that you must pilot to destroy shield generators, a robot factory where you must take over an enormous ion cannon, a sequel/spinoff to AS-HiSpeed, and many more.
7 new vehicles for use in Onslaught. They include a grenade-launching jeep, the Manta hover craft, a tank, a 3-person truck, a small fighter, a bomber, and a seventh secret vehicle.
Improved weapon and sound effects.
Revised original UT sniper rifle.
HUD improvements.
Several types of different useable gun turrets.
All new game menus.
Voice over IP communication.
Improved networking code (up to 40% more efficient).
Added software rendering (for players with a fast CPU, and poor-quality graphics card or horribly outdated drivers).
Expect proper descriptions and details soon!

that is what was posted on www.planetunreal.com. First that caught my eyes was this... see what he's playing? the radar looks overcrowded so I was thinking what is crowding it ;Þ there are 2 things up in the left corner I don't know what is and maybe something in the bottom left corner. Otherwise the AVRiL rocket launcher might be interesting... OVER 90 MAPS!!!!! 30 CHARACTERS!!!! and then the grenade launching jeep (prolly dropped having the machine gun) and the 3 person jeep (for the passengers). I also see a fighter and a bomber that might look interesting but the secret vehicle wasn't in the E3 video but I suspect something VERY COOL! well I'm completely amazed and decided that I will make some spare money to buy this game... even if I don't get a discount

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 4:34 pm

Razz

lalli you state the obvious every time. Of course you'll make some extra money for this game. everyone here will. (i think)

Razz

Peoii
Ultimate Fanboy

Location: Post Falls, ID, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 4:47 pm

All I gotta say is.....

TOLD YA SO!

...........to all those people who just thought this was some sort of pansy little addon......

Ok, with that outta the way, this is actually kinda what I was expecting from UT2k4, tons of stuff. Of course their gonna want to make it big, and honestly? This is where UT2k3 SHOULD have been when it was released..... Woulda been nice to see, though I'm glad they stuck thru and are putting it out anyway.

SPOT ON YA EPIC! GOOD JOB!

SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0
0 Rows Returned.
Raven
UO Staff

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 7:43 pm

Peoii wrote:

that's something you dont hear everyday Razz

Peoii
Ultimate Fanboy

Location: Post Falls, ID, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 10:57 pm

Raven wrote:
Peoii wrote:

that's something you dont hear everyday Razz

bah, and it's something you should hear Wink

SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0
0 Rows Returned.
Raven
UO Staff

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 9:51 am

Razz

enfestid
Novice Spammer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 4:33 pm

I don't like the new HUD at all, it looks too outdated. Is there an option to use the UT2K3-style HUD instead of this new one that looks like a mix of Unreal and Unreal Tournament?

The new additions look cool... I still wish there was an actual single player mode, though, but I'm in the minority Sad

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 5:22 pm

hey every game cant have the best Sp gameplay around, but i do agree with ya, they need to redeem themselvs from the small mistake that was Unreal 2. nothin against the game, i loved it, but it coulda been longer

Seawolf
UO Noob

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 1:49 am

What I had against Unreal 2...can be seen...here
http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27129
I liked UT2003. The only thing that annoyed me about it was that theres no race mutator supplied with the game like I thought there would be, really. It's quite improved over its launch state.
UT2004 just makes it far closer to what I actually wanted, what with Assault and vehicles especially Smile

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 4:30 pm

I will love Unreal Tournament 2004 that is for sure. I think it will bring all the old UT99 players in and grow a healthy and big community. Or atleast i hope it will.
Plumb_Drumb
Ultimate Fanboy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 4:47 pm

191 wrote:
I will love Unreal Tournament 2004 that is for sure. I think it will bring all the old UT99 players in and grow a healthy and big community. Or atleast i hope it will.

That's something I like about you man, you're always so positive about our new game Cool
I'm with ya!
Raven
UO Staff

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 5:30 pm

that's funny Smile

Lalli-Oni
UO Staff

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 6:53 pm

191 wrote:
"...all the old UT99 players in..."

What about calling UT... UT and UT2k3... uuuh let me think... UT2k3?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 10:18 pm

After more information about it, here's some thoughts:
+ New modes ("Onslaught", "Assault")
+ Tons of new maps
+ Bonus pack inclusion
+ New weapons
+ Vehicles (in "Onslaught" and "Assault")
- Still no real SP mode (even if Unreal II is the SP franchise)
- New HUD
- No improvements to the bots (from what I've heard)
- Not many new features to existing modes
- Not sure if it'll warrant the upgrade price for UT2K3 owners, even with the discount
+/- New models (like Shock's new model, dislike new assault rifle)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 11:03 pm

uuuh what abou the netcode? there will be some chamnges to the SP last time I knew... well I at least heard that some time ago... the bots have a very good AI IMO... why change the modes that have been there from UT back in 1999?

View next topic
View previous topic