Home FAQ Memberlist

View next topic
View previous topic
 Unreal Ops Forum Index » Unreal Ops News Comments
Peoii
Ultimate Fanboy

Location: Post Falls, ID, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 2:06 am

For those of you who havn't been keeping up, the third installment in the famed Thief series has finally had an official title put to it, Thief: Deadly Shadows. And just recently the guys over at Gamespot found out that this installment will finally contain a third person view which is sure to please many stealth gamers. To quote from their article:
The game will support what publisher Eidos is calling a "third-person cinematic action view." This new perspective will be in addition to the series' traditional first-person view, which was first created by long-defunct developer Looking Glass Studios.Definately looks like this will be a fitting continuation to the Thief series, and for those interested, you can read the whole article here.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 3:09 am

Sure to please??!

Actually, if you look around the (PC) community, just about everyone i've seen is either:
a) Pissed off that ISA has ruined another good franchise
b) Worried that ISA has ruined another good franchise
c) Beginning to wonder if ISA has ruined another good franchise

Personally, I fall into group A. After what they did to DX:IW, I no longer have faith in those former LGS guys at Ion Storm. I think this third person thing was their intention all allong (solves the leaning problem on the Xbox), and leaving first person is only a token effort at appeasing PC gamers.
Make no mistake, Thief 3 (notice how its not actually called Thief 3? Wouldn't want to confuse all the console idiots now would we?) is a console game through and through. It will be plagued with the same small-level/crappy-textures/dumbed-down/bloom-crap that Dues Ex 2 had. The fact that they're putting out a PC version of it is nothing more than a cheap effort to cash in on nostalgia.

Maybe i'm prejudiced here, but I don't think i'm wrong (though I hope I am). But as of now, my 6th gamer sense tells me that i'm going to be flipping the bird to Ion Storm and Edios shortly after this dud lands.
MachDelta
Novice Spammer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 3:10 am

Ah crap, that was me. Forgot that I was logged out. Whups. Rolling Eyes Embarassed

Location: Post Falls, ID, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 3:15 am

Eh, I know that handing it over to ISA was prolly not the best of ideas, but atleast they've got this feature right. I'm being somewhat hopeful here, really hopeing that maybe for once they'll pull their sh*t together and get something impressive out.

Beign a lover of the original thief, and thief 2, I have some pretty damn high hopes for the third installment, and when I see something that I've wanted as far as tech, it tickles me pink. While sure, I'm worried like everyone else (I'm mainly in part B, as you can't really be in A since the game isn't released yet Razz and you should never judge a book by it's cover ), I do have SOME hope that it might turn out ok. Who knows.

SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0
0 Rows Returned.
MachDelta
Novice Spammer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 3:46 am

I used to have hope. Thats all been crushed now though Sad. Like I said, i'm expecting another bomb game. Based on DX:IW, and the things i've read and seen... I just don't feel like being dissapointed again (anger is much easier Wink).
I really, really, really, hope i'm wrong, but until Warren pops out of my closet to tell me everything will be allright, I don't think i'll be changing my opinion Sad

View next topic
View previous topic