Unreal Ops Forum Index

Home FAQ Memberlist

View next topic
View previous topic
 Unreal Ops Forum Index » Unreal Ops News Comments
Mr. Brownstone
UO Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:53 pm

There is a very interesting discussion going on over at the Atari forums concerning which maps should feature in Epic’s forthcoming UT2004 Demo.

Long-standing community member and forum regular TseTse has proposed the controversial notion that “No Deathmatch or Capture The Flag maps should be included in the demo” stating his reasons why he feels this would be a good move.

Needless to say the conversation gets very heated, and many interesting scenarios on how the demo should present itself have been put forward. There are some great points in defense of this notion, and other good points against it:

For: The basic premise behind the defense of excluding these most core game-types from the demo is that Deathmatch and Capture The Flag do not thrill new players who are used to the new modes presented by games such as Halo, BattleField 1942, Call Of Duty, and CounterStrike. DM and CTF are overwrought, passe, and no longer sell games. The focus should be on the new game-types: Assault and Onslaught.

Against: The prime concern in excluding these game-types from the demo is the fear that such a move would drive the old-school community away; those who relish in the old game-types, and who actively take part and contribute to the roots of the community.

The thread has reached in excess of 9 pages with 30 posts per-page, with many arguments and counter-arguments. I have even posted my own views on the subject (usual disclaimer; they don’t represent the views of UnrealOps. Wink

What do you think? Should the demo focus on the new aspects of UT2004 only? Follow the link below to give your feedback.

Last edited by Mr. Brownstone on Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
-dp-
UO Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 2:10 pm

Didn´t Epic say that it would only include Assault and Onslaught a long time ago ? We pretty much know how DM and CTF is going to be like so it´s not needed for people (at least people who played UT2003) to try those game modes !

-dp-
Mr. Brownstone
UO Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 2:34 pm

I think Epic said they would only include a single Onslaught map, no Assault maps, and the usual two Deathmatch, one Capture The Flag map.

In my own view, I think a better choice would be:

2 Assault maps.
1 Onslaught map.
1 Deathmatch map.

I also think it would benefit to have no mutators in the demo, even though I do play InstaGib. But I doubt this will happen. Wink

I think 2 Assault maps is the only way to show off this game-mode. Epic already said that they would not include one Assault map because they are all so different. At least with two you can see how varied the game-type can be, and it is much better to show off AS with ONS, since together they more successfully tout the new vehiclular focus of the game.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 2:41 pm

they definately shouldnt include the skaarj mothership or desert train maps tho !
gotta keep those for the final ver.
anyhoo, my online connection sux, so i usually play against bots, so id like to see how dm and ctf gameplays have been improved (bot ai, weapon balancing etc...)
that means assault and onslaught maps in little number, cos there probably is no bot support (can't be much fun anyway)...
Raven
UO Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 4:35 pm

personally, we diddnt play much CTF/DM on the demo i played, but we did play a whole helluva lot of ONS and AS, I see that we need all of the gametypes even if there are a few of the gametypes that are not going to be played by some, just dont play them. simple as that.

Lalli-Oni
UO Staff

Location: A small island in the middle of the Atlantic ocean...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 5:00 pm

Rav: size of the demo matters... of course ONS and AS have bot support. I don't see any reason having DM and CTF

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 7:25 pm

My opinion here is that the demo should have AS but not ONS... reason is that we all know of AS maps and playing them on a new ut title would be fun but still with the omission of ONS maps there still is alot for the so called " element of surpise" meaning that we kind of know what to expect from 2k4 but not the whole deal.... Frankly I'm to not to concered about what the demo will have in terms of maps...but in terms of balance and layout compared to the demo of 2k3 which was kind of strange but i guess gotten to used to... the big thing that the demo MUST HAVE is the return of the CLASSIC SNIPER......oh lots of fun with that
Twisted Evil

mozidesign.com
Kharnellius
Spam King-In-Training

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:14 pm

Lalli-Oni wrote:
Rav: size of the demo matters... of course ONS and AS have bot support. I don't see any reason having DM and CTF

Took the words right out of my mouth. The demo already is gonna be huge.....I'd rather have maps of new stuff instead. And as far as I've heard there's bot support for both types. Mr. Green

Stick with AS and ONS maps and "give us teh demo" Razz

Last edited by Kharnellius on Wed Jul 32, 2008 13:19am; edited 237 times in total
Kharnellius
Spam King-In-Training

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:18 pm

MozI wrote:
... the big thing that the demo MUST HAVE is the return of the CLASSIC SNIPER......oh lots of fun with that
Twisted Evil

Unfortunately, it sounds like its been nerfed a bit from old skool UT. Probably a good thing since it was pretty powerful. I also heard the lightning gun is being slowed down.......wtf? It's weak enough already especially after thet tighten up the headshot zone.

whatever......

Last edited by Kharnellius on Wed Jul 32, 2008 13:19am; edited 237 times in total

Last edited by Kharnellius on Fri Jan 23, 2004 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
alpha2003
The Underworld God of Spamming

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:18 pm

hmmm strange, no comments from cheetah, you know what im talkin about Wink
Lalli-Oni
UO Staff

Location: A small island in the middle of the Atlantic ocean...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 4:16 am

Kharnellius wrote:
MozI wrote:
... the big thing that the demo MUST HAVE is the return of the CLASSIC SNIPER......oh lots of fun with that
Twisted Evil

Unfortunately, it sounds like its been nerfed a bit from old skool UT. Probably a good thing since it was pretty powerful. I also heard the lightning gun is being slowed down.......wtf? It's weak enough already especially after the tighten up the headshot zone.

whatever......

well they'll propably make it do more damage I always used it to take one shot and then take up minigun and finish guys off... if I was on 1on1 with that beauty I was doing preety good Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 11:47 am

Kharn, I'd take the news of the lightning gun's slower ROF with a hefty dollop of salt. Nearly every preview I've read says something about the lightning, some say the ROF has been increased, others say it's been decreased. As the lightning's pretty slow as it is, my guess is that it'll have a very slightly quicker ROF.

As for the old-school sniper, you can't use it like the UT sniper rifle because when you shoot a cloud of smoke blocks the scope, meaning you have to move to the side and reacquire your aim. It's a great idea imo, UT matches in more open maps were just sniper battles; which the game wasn't designed for... sniper addicts should be playing Delta Force.
Cheetah
Ultimate Fanboy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 11:52 am

alpha2003 wrote:

huh? what should i comment to that>?
i dont see anything to joke about.

and i am sure i replyed to this topic somewhere..
but i dont see my posts.. weird..

<Rachel> Razz
Kharnellius
Spam King-In-Training

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 2:06 pm

Cheetah wrote:
alpha2003 wrote:

huh? what should i comment to that>?
i dont see anything to joke about.

and i am sure i replyed to this topic somewhere..
but i dont see my posts.. weird..

I was confused too and figured you'd explain.......maybe we're both dumb lol Razz

Last edited by Kharnellius on Fri Jan 23, 2004 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cheetah
Ultimate Fanboy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 2:17 pm

wait.. now im all confused..??

what was you confused about?
and what did i need to explain?
and what should i make a comment about?

Confused

<Rachel> Razz

View next topic
View previous topic