Unreal Ops Forum Index

Home FAQ Memberlist

View next topic
View previous topic
 Unreal Ops Forum Index » Unreal Ops News Comments
Tycho
Wanna-Be Webmaster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:57 am

Well after a couple of weeks of reading up on things and working with the developers, part one of the article is now finished. It is called The History of Unreal Technology - The Early Years. This first part of several features the original concept thoughts and input about that time by the likes of James Schmalz, Tim Sweeney and Cliffy B. I had fun writing this up and I hope you enjoy it. The other parts will be spread out a little more than I thought because documenting 10 years of gaming technology is a bigger project than I had originally thought.
zenmaster
Crazed Fan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 3:40 am

Very nice, I'm going to finish it once I get some sleep it's 2:40AM now and I just did 70+ paragraph long definitions for history. I think i'm developing a twitch Smile

Zen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 3:48 am

Thx tycho!!! very nice indeed!! I remember a buddy of mine was busy braging about a game called unreal... so i tried it and WOW the story and the atmosphere where incredible! And when i Accidently detonated the asmd I was sold.. UNREAL forever!!!

Angst jammer og fortvilelse

alpha2003
The Underworld God of Spamming

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:05 am

like i have said b4 good job !
RavingMad

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:13 am

Very Happy

Nice work!

Interesting read. The fact is that also I got hooked in late '98 when I for the first time played a FPS. The game was Unreal and since that I hardly play nothing but FPS, and most often Unreal games.
Raven
UO Staff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:03 am

nice read tycho. good job Smile

almost on par with my UU read..... almost Wink

//SGT.SKINNER\\
UO Noob

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:42 am

Excellent job Tycho. It's great to read how all this came together and look back. Nicely done. Looking forward to the next part of it. I couldn't help but think of what this has done to me personally....

Unreal was the game that made me realize how awesome PC gaming was. At the time, I wasn't into it. I was a hardcore console gamer. But when I saw Unreal (over at a friends house), everything changed. Then Unreal Tournament (also at a friends house) came out and it just blew me away. Ultimately this is what got me into building computers and learning what hardware compontents would work best to make these games look good and play well. I wanted the best. Just like what I saw on my friends computers. I started researching what a motherboard was, how the processor fits into it, what it does, what the memory did, the video card...you name it. Fastforward...now I have a strong understanding of what it takes to build a computer to play the latest and greatest PC games out there. I've become a PC gamer because of the Unreal game(s) and I've never been happier. I owe what I learned to those that created these games.

It's funny how you think a game can make an inpact on you. It has, in many ways, changed my life.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:56 am

I agree 100% sgt.skinner, but ive always had a cumputer in my house,since comodore 64( had an atari kassete comp to.) Ive always enjoyed games, but never tought annything could do what the unreal/ut1 did to me... Sci fi has always been my thing..... and suddenly
I sat with Unreal in my lap!!!!! By the way, where somebody talking about an unreal ops server??? would be great to frag some of you!!!!

CrashOverwrite
Irix WAnnabe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 2:58 pm

hey tycho: wanna read more about history!

by the way: unreal 1.... times i loved....

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 6:53 pm

yah we were tossing around the idea of getting a UO server, but i havent heard anything about it lately...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 2:59 pm

No mention of Ken Silverman?
Cheetah
Ultimate Fanboy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 3:33 pm

dident you got Unreal history in your school days? as a kid?
i do.. 1.5 hours a week Razz

<Rachel> Razz

View next topic
View previous topic