Unreal Ops Forum Index

Home FAQ Memberlist

View next topic
View previous topic
 Unreal Ops Forum Index » Unreal Ops Soap Box
Cheetah
Ultimate Fanboy

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 12:55 pm

hello, i downloaded both Firefox 0.8 and Mozila 1.6 and i was wondering what to use, Mozila 1.6 seems to be the most 'expirianced' since its version 1.6, and Firefox 0.8 is still a beta.
what are the differences? wich is better?

thanks alot.

Cheetah

edit:
i just instaled Mozilla 1.6.. and so far im not all that happy, its so slow.. when i open Unrealops in IE it loads in less then a second, here it takes like 3 secs..
this is probably since i tweaked my IE to be faster, it loads multiply images etc at a time, and this waits for image 1 to be done, then starts on image 2, etc etc.

and it doesnt look that good.
lets see if Firefox 0.8 is better.

Cheetah

<Rachel> Razz
Peoii
Ultimate Fanboy

Location: Post Falls, ID, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 1:34 pm

Firefox, though in "0.8" is far from "beta", 0.8 is just a number afterall. Infact, it's a very mature product based on the Mozilla 1.6 engine core. It's most definitely my recommendation, as you can see from the review on my website located here.

Will it load as fast as IE? Probably not, because IE is built-into the OS so it's already "in memory" as it were. Will it seem a little slower? In some cases yes, because IE doesn't complete the handshake. But as for features, Firefox and Mozilla whoop IE all over the playing field.

The choice is yours really, but if it were my choice, I'd definitely pick Firefox.

SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0
0 Rows Returned.
TheSquirrelKing
Spamming Fanboy

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 2:13 pm

I love Opera, gets better every release. The thing is fast, and mouse gestures make navigation a breeze, not to mention rather fun too!

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 2:24 pm

mouse gestures?

i dont like the name, opera.. but thats probably just me bitching..

anyway, i think firefox is way better then mozial 1.6.
but i mean its slow on loading webpages and images etc, like this ser of emoticons im looking at writing this message, they loaded 1 by 1, and it took a few secs, i tweaked my registry so IE loads about 32 images at a time, and it did some more, read it on my website, its under tips. www.cheetah01.tk

il try some more Firefox and see if i start to like it..
the prob is there alot of things i like about firefox, and things i hate about it, but thats vica versa for IE.
so im in a xomplex situation here... Rolling Eyes

<Rachel> Razz
Peoii
Ultimate Fanboy

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 2:40 pm

Same "tip" can be done in firefox cheetah:

open a new tab.

address: about:config

in the filter bar, type in: connection

modify the values given as you'd see fit.

0 Rows Returned.
Cheetah
Ultimate Fanboy

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 3:12 pm

whats persistent? it says that?

also, those skins are messed up.. goes weird downaloding and instaling, then they dont work properly, and look weird.. but afcourse thats my fault.. Rolling Eyes

ok, i set everyhing thing to 32, and it still loads 1 by 1..
now IE does take like 5 secs to completly load the main forum page on unrealops, from the moment i press CTRL+F5 to the moment its laoded.
now firefox takes 11 SECONDS!!
thats more then twice as long... Shocked

ehr.. what do you see here:
http://download.beyondunreal.com/download.gif
in IE i see the downlaod image from BU, but in firefox is see some weird disorted black and white dots image..?
even when i save the image to my HD, its weird...
no in IE tho.. so.. why is that?

<Rachel> Razz
Peoii
Ultimate Fanboy

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 5:41 pm

Persistant are "constant" connections that are always active.

As for the download.gif, it looks identical to me in IE and Firefox.

And as for the reload time, it takes 3 seconds for a full reload in Firefox on my system (timed by watch)

0 Rows Returned.
Cheetah
Ultimate Fanboy

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 10:15 am

about the image:
weird then.. i dunno whats wrong, maybe IE has bad PNG support, and FF has bad gif support Question

went to the main page of forum? press CTRL+F5, and it should load allt he images again, not from memory, but from the server. i timed it with my brain, no watch.

i changed some stuff again, now its 5 for FF and 4 and a bit for IE, so i guess thats no big deal then, and yours faster couse you got faster connection.

some more tweaking done, now about same time for IE and FF. so im satisfied.
only thing i need to know, can i get my keyboard buttons to work? i got alogitech keyboard, and it has like buttons on it, to start programs, or webpages, but it starts IE, not FF, so can i like, from the command line, open a website in FF,
in example:
C://program file/firefox/launch.exe "open: http:www.google.nl"
like that, willl that work?
and can i get my .url files to work? i set em to open with firefox, but they still have the IE icon, how can i change that for all of em?
and in MSN, when i get mails, how can i let it not open in IE, but in FF?
anyone got any ideas or suggestions for any of this questions?
thanks

i did some more exact calculations, and from when the cursor chnages into the one with the sand time thingy (dunno english word) till its back to normal cursor its acualy faster in FF then its in IE, its just that IE laods em all at once, and FF laods em 1 by 1, atleast thats how the pop up on my screen.
Cheetah

huh.. i typed alot more here, submited it.. and now its gone..
anyways whats the javascript console? its under tools, iv read it on the homepage of firefox, but i dident understand..

another edit:
the media player in FF sucks, thats the only real bad thing iv found, the sound quality is way worse, since IE has some plugin that corrects the low qual sound, and it uses some stupid player, IE uses that windows media player, you can adjust volume, and stop it from playing etc, stop button, also has a mute button.

edit again:
i used the notification thing to notify me every 10 min when somethingchanges on unrealops, does it work good? and when i set it from midnigth to midnight, every 10 min, does it work? i mean, wont it do it for like 1 sec, from midnigt may 23st to midnight may 23st? or does it understand it should be midnight next day?

wasnt the slide bar on the right here in this window coloured? the same colours as the website has?

and on the main Uops page, the Visit our forums has changed location again, or is it me?

edit:
how can FF check if uops is update when i dont got a browser running? is it running in background? couse i dont see it when i press ctrl+alt+del, in proceses.

<Rachel> Razz
Homercidal
Crazed Fan

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 12:14 pm

I use Mozilla and like it very much. Has mOuse gestures for easier navigating. FF is designed to be smaller, faster and more efficient than Mozilla and Netscrape.

Although I've downloaded FF, I haven't really tried it yet. I'm sure I'll have to download again now to get the latest version, but from what I've heard, it might be a better product to use when it's massaged a bit.

But why are you not using IE? It sounds like you already like it?

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 12:20 pm

FF has mousegestures to.

why i left IE.. hmm couse peoii and others made me see the bad things about IE, showed me the light at the end of the tunnel. Rolling Eyes
thanks again y'all!

<Rachel> Razz

View next topic
View previous topic