View next topic
View previous topic
 Unreal Ops Forum Index » Unreal Ops Soap Box
Cheetah
Ultimate Fanboy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 1:34 pm

http://www.mikx.de/scrollbar/
Quote:
Drag and release the scrollbar of the page to auto-install "booom.exe" into "shell:startup". It's just an empty file with .exe extension, but it can also be any kind of malware.

This is a combination of several known bugs, especially the "What A Drag" exploit by http-equiv (http://lists.netsys.com/pipermail/full-disclosure/2004-August/025471.html).

The scrollbar is for real, but above lies a image hidden by an opacity filter that gets dragged as soon as you try to drag the scrollbar. In addition the drop area is only a few pixels in size and automaticly follows the mouse position (the little white square appearing while dragging).

A (pretty dumb) javascripts emulates the real scrollbar behavior and moves the page up and down. An average user probably won't recognize any difference or that he installed a file while dragging the scrollbar. After the the installation the script disables itself and the scrollbar behaves as normal. Refresh the page to run it again.

Tested and working using Internet Explorer 6 on both Windows XP SP1 and Windows XP SP2. If SP2 is installed you can work around this vulnerability by disabling "binary behaviors" in the new IE activex settings.

Update: Users reported the demo still working after disabling "binary behaviors". Disable "active scripting" in this case.

mikx

so this mikx guy script is not so bad, the file is harmless, but it could contain a viruss.. or pr0n..
in firefox this is no problem, but IE sucks.
even if you ahve SP2 it will mess ay up..

<Rachel> Razz
Burgess
UO Staff

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 4:25 pm

Quote:
disabling "binary behaviors"

Thanx I will try this when I get home.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:22 am

dont thank me, i dont even know what it means Embarassed
but i mean.. just by dragging down a scrollbar (or so it looks to you) you can infect yourself wiht a virus Rolling Eyes
curse you microsoft Twisted Evil

<Rachel> Razz
Nem1611
Irix WAnnabe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:47 am

yay for firefox Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 6:38 pm

I downloaded FF and have made the switch. Overall it is a very nice browser.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 6:37 am

yeha, firefox is nice, especialy when you customized it to your needs. themes, extensions, buttons, bookmarks, tabbed browsing, and all. you get to know some of the keybinds and stuff. in a few weeks youll be 1 with your browser..

<Rachel> Razz

View next topic
View previous topic