Unreal Ops Forum Index

Home FAQ Memberlist

View next topic
View previous topic
 Unreal Ops Forum Index » Unreal Ops News Comments
Tycho
Wanna-Be Webmaster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 1:47 am

If you are reading this site you are definitely an Unreal fan.  However I was thinking of this today as I was doing the Random Thoughts post.  What is the biggest Non-Unreal game that you are looking forward to this year?  There should be some interesting votes on this as some of you readers have different tastes.
//SGT.SKINNER\\
UO Noob

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 11:02 am

I gotta say...for me...probably S.T.A.L.K.E.R. The game looks just incredible and sounds like it will be a lot of fun. I'm getting sick of all the "run around and shoot" cookie cutter games out there. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. looks like it will be different from that because of the things you can do in the game. I'm also looking forward to DOOM III and Half-Life 2 (hey...these may actually be fun cookire cutter games...lol) UT 2004 doesn't get my vote. Sad I've been upset with what has happened to the UT scene since UT 2003 came out. I want to play 2004 first to see how I like it....but if my dusty copy of UT 2003 is any indication....

FPS are changing. Finally. We're starting to see more goals and objectives that need to be completed as a TEAM when you play them online. This makes for a far more exciting gaming experience rather than just running around and fragging. 2004 should be an interesting year for gaming for sure.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 1:12 am

doom 3
half life 2
term 3 redemption
zoids battle legends
halo 2

p.s: im not really a quake fan so im not really looking forward to quake 4 (whenever it comes out)

Last edited by alpha2003 on Wed Jan 07, 2004 7:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lalli-Oni
UO Staff

Location: A small island in the middle of the Atlantic ocean...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 6:47 pm

come on... have you heard the polycount? I mean BWAHHHHHHH! AND THE SCREENIES!!!!!!!!!!!! ARGH!!!! DAMN YOU REMINDED ME ON IT!!! BWAHHH!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 9:34 pm

yeah good luck not lagging on that poly count unless u get a geforce 7 Wink

and this

http://www.gamersdepot.com/hardware/cpus/intel/p4_ee/001.htm

Last edited by alpha2003 on Wed Jan 07, 2004 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
SirYawnalot
Rabid Poster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:19 pm

I never thought I'd say this, but there's nothing on the horizon I'm running around naked over. UT2004 looks great, but XMP is amazing and has calmed down my anticipation (I'll probably still be playing XMP when I've got UT2004). I'll probably get Doom 3 as an interim substitute for Aliens vs Predator 3, and Half-Life 2... maybe, if I've got a bit too much money on my hands. There's quite a few more interesting-looking titles but I'm just not drooling over them. XMP, UT2003, my Megadrive and (dare I say it) Return of the King have all totally sated my gaming appetite for the time being.
Lalli-Oni
UO Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 6:48 am

you playing on jolt?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 2:45 pm

//SGT.SKINNER\\ wrote:

FPS are changing. Finally. We're starting to see more goals and objectives that need to be completed as a TEAM when you play them online. This makes for a far more exciting gaming experience rather than just running around and fragging. 2004 should be an interesting year for gaming for sure.

I disagree. I find "running around and fragging" a much more fun and rewarding experience than team based games that have a lower "individual skill" level. That's why I love games like UT2003, Quake 3 and UT, and abhor games like BF1942, CS, ETC... There is little deathmatch skill involved; It is all team-dependent. I find that boring and frustrating.

Anyway, back on topic, the game I am most looking forward to besides UT2004 is Half-Life 2. That game is gonna own.
spineblaZe
UO Noob

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 2:46 pm

^^Shit that was me. Stupid guest feature. Evil or Very Mad

Hey man, nice shot.
-Filter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 3:49 pm

Stalker
BF Vietnam
Halflife
GTA
zenmaster
Crazed Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 7:51 pm

Tribes Vengance Twisted Evil

Doom IiI (Multyplayer frag fest!) http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/doom3/preview_6073440.html

Half-Life 2 (Can you say monster story)

Middle-Earth Online (Out the way master hobbit) http://pc.ign.com/articles/446/446583p1.html

Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow (And it has multiplayer Surprised Twisted Evil heal yess)

Some thing will come out of no where to better the rest lol Wink

Zen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 9:44 pm

Tribes
Half Life 2
looking for some MMORPG that well... I like enough
BF Vietnam
GTA... god good times playing Vice City

Location: Post Falls, ID, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 6:47 am

I've got quite the varied taste on this one:

Tribes: Vengeance (even though it's based on the UT2k3 engine, I figure why not include it, most others have Razz )

Metal Arms: Glitch in the System - thats right, xbox forever baby Razz

Sonic Heroes - Another Xbox winner

UT2k4 - While I'm looking forward to it, I gotta say I'm getting more and more tired of the "run around kill" type games, and more and more fond of the team based games. So sure, CTF will always be my friend, but XMP, Tribes: Vengeance, Halos CTF, those are so much better imho.

Stalker - Just cause, well, I love a good fps.

Duke Nukem Forever - Ok, we can all dream right? Who's yer daddy!

Oh yeah, and I'll be anxiously awaiting the rise and fall of Doom3 as I sit back in my chair and laugh Razz Sorry, had to say that, but seriously? I don't think I'll be getting that or Half-Life2 unless someone wants to buy em for me.

SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0
0 Rows Returned.
zenmaster
Crazed Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 7:14 pm

Peoii wrote:
Oh yeah, and I'll be anxiously awaiting the rise and fall of Doom3 as I sit back in my chair and laugh Razz Sorry, had to say that, but seriously? I don't think I'll be getting that or Half-Life2 unless someone wants to buy em for me.

Sad Y, Doom III has the biggest game play changes of any FPS or any other genre for that mater out of any of the games that have been mentioned as of late.

-Blurrs when your hit by an object, or are runing short on oxygen.

-Focuse problems when you come into a bright light sudenly.

-In game real time lighting i.e. the ability to turn on and off a light in a room and damage the light source while in game!

-Enviormental reactions i.e. breakable glass physics, dynamic computation of materials i.e. a bullet will go through a wood table but wont go through a metal door.

Sounds cool to me....

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 8:38 pm

zenmaster wrote:
Peoii wrote:

Sad Y, Doom III has the biggest game play changes of any FPS or any other genre for that mater out of any of the games that have been mentioned as of late.

-Blurrs when your hit by an object, or are runing short on oxygen.

-Focuse problems when you come into a bright light sudenly.

-In game real time lighting i.e. the ability to turn on and off a light in a room and damage the light source while in game!

-Enviormental reactions i.e. breakable glass physics, dynamic computation of materials i.e. a bullet will go through a wood table but wont go through a metal door.

Sounds cool to me....

Blurs have been around a long time. Being developed more is cool, but Deus Ex, Perfect Dark, and plenty of other have had that.

Coming into bright light suddenly hurts our eyes in real life. If it's 3am, and I step outside in Unreal2 after being indoors, I have to adjust my focus anyway.

Hitman 2 had the same thing with light sources. So did Splinter Cell.

Deus Ex 2 has lots of breakable glass physics, and so did Soldier of Fortune II. IGI2 had material computations.

I'm not ragging on Doom ]|[... I mean, hey, I respect John Carmack and even John Romero, a ton. (Yes, I know Romero doesn't have anything to do with D3). And I'm not saying it won't be a good game. But aside from some new graphic stuff, they're not doing anything amazingly new.

Who knows. Time will tell.

View next topic
View previous topic